Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4.56 gears with 33's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by emoo99, Mar 10, 2003.

1. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

4.56 gears with 33\'s

yes i've done a search.. i got 3.08 now..i'm leaning more with 4.56 gears, i'm just goin to regear my stock 10 bolts cause i don't want to buy new rims.. i have a 350 with automatic 700R4 with an OD and was wondering what would be better with 33's the 3.73 4.11 or 4.56 setup? i may go bigger tires but not for a couple years. will the 4.56 gears hurt anything will i be running too high of RPM's on the highway? i'm doin the swap this week but need more advice before i do it.. thanks.

2. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: 4.56 gears with 33\'s

Its all dependent. How much highway do you run? How fast do you want to run? How many RPM is to many for you?

I run 4.56's and 32" (31" actual height) on my truck right now. I have run the setup for 8 months. It isn't bad at all in my opinion with the OD of the 700R4. My 65MPH cruise RPM is 2200ish. My 75mph cruise is 2600ish. That isn't high in my opinion. It will be a BIG difference from the 3.08's though. I ran 3.73's before the 4.56 and it was a noticable difference. The extra power on tap outweighs the extra RPM in my mind. I did loose some MPG, but about 2 at the outside at highway speeds. I went from 13 MPG with the 3.73 at 75 on highway to about 11 with the 4.56's. Personally I have gotten 12 mpg if I backed it down to 65 mph and just cruised.

It is definitly not unbearable to have the 4.56's and 33's, and I wouldn't trade it for anything lower. Sometimes I wish I had even went to 4.88 gears because I plan to have 37" tires down the line. I vote 4.56 all the way.

Also if your rearend is open, put some type of spider gear replacing differential in the rear. Or if you have a govlock get rid of it now before it breaks and destroys the new gears your going to install. The govlock is terrible in 10 bolts, and the spider gears in them are known to be a weak point. They have caused massive problems for many people. DesertDueler rolled his old Jimmy after the 10 bolt spiders let loose on a hillclimb.

4. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

the Govlock, that's the factory locking differential right? my main concern is goin over the pass, i'll be camping alot so i need something to go up all the hills with without frying a tranny or bustin a driveline.. i want it quick off the line too.. i gotta pass all the granny's goin 40 on the freeway.. i try to do that now with my 3.08's and there passing me while giving me the bird..

5. Hossbaby50

Yes, the govlock is the factory limited slip/ locking differential. It blows big hairy sack. I destroyed mine on the street with 3.73's, 32's, and a stock 350. There are very weak, and they might ruin your new gears if it let go. I would replace it with a good limited slip (auburn, eaton) if you don't want a full on locker.

As for passing people going up hills, the 4.56's will definilty help with that. My truck does a heck of alot better going up steep hills and passes now then it did with the 3.73's. The 4.56's keep the motor in a decent power band and you can to pretty good on hills.

We have a climb in AZ going north from Phoenix that is pretty good. I have run it many times, and the key before the 4.56's was momentum. Hit the hill at 85 and hope nobody gets in the way to slow you down, otherwise its 55 mph tops.

Now with the 4.56's I can take the hill at 65-70 (speed limit) and climb up it at that with no problems. I have even had my momentum broken, and you can get it back with the 4.56's. The last part of the hill at the crest is usually the worst for me. 45-55mph, foot to the floor in 3rd, and your slowing down. Now It is 65-70 mph in 3rd with more pedal left. I could actually accelerate up the hill if I want to. The difference is awesome, and my crange was 3.73-4.56, I can't imagine the jump from 3.08-4.56. You will have a whole new truck.

6. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

right on i'm goin with the 4.56's.. so a new auburn or eaton limited slip will do.. could i go without or is that a bad idea?.. i'm looking around 1200 to do the gear swap at a local shop.. and don't really wanna drop more than that on just gears..

7. Hossbaby50

If you plan on any offroading I would put in a limited slip. They don't have any weird onroad habits like lockers that you have to get used to, and they will help with traction.

If you are going to 4.56's and are going to have the axle apart then you might as well do a decent traction device now otherwise if you decide to do it later you have to pay someone to resetup the gears and tear apart the rearend again.

Plus it would suck if you could turn your tires with the new gears, but you were some poser that can only turn one because he didn't get a limited slip.

Seriously though, a good limited slip in a daily driver is the only way to go in my opinion. Open is worthless if you need traction, and lockers can be to unfriendly for alot of people in a daily driver. Limited slip is a good happy medium, and you will be happy you had it if you need it sometime. I had a limited slip Auburn in my old 10 bolt rear and I liked it alot.

Just make sure to get a LS with heavier preloaded clutches to help with the bigger tires if you get one. It will cost like $250-$400 for a good limited slip, there are many available. It is worth looking into, especially since you are going for a gear change. Now is the best time.

8. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

$1200.00 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Damn that sounds high to me considering you could buy the gears, install kits, and gear oil for about 5-600 depending on where you get them and what brand they are. But I may be off base here, its been a long time since I paid anyone to do a gear swap for me, I've been doing my own for the last few years. I think the local garage charged me either 75 or 100 bucks labor to do a rear in a Jimmy that I used to have. You may want to shop around and get some other people to quote you a price.

9. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

k i'm goin to do the limited slip at the same time then.. yea $1200 for the rear and the front.. and the dude said that's if i don't need new seals or bearings or something.. i'm a rookie when it comes to 4-byin i just converted from a lowrider with a competition 156db stereo, i've only had my blazer for about 4 months now but i love it!! my brother owns a auto mechanic shop and he suggested him so i'd rather go to the guy he reccomended than to any other "joe" out there.. and i'm not sure what brand they use, i'll check it out. what's a good brand?

10. Hossbaby50

Fill out your profile. Someone in your area might know of someone cheaper that does good work, or someone might actually do the work and get you a better deal on it. With info in the profile people can better help you. What is your location?

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's too much.

12. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

i'm up in Marysville,WA i should just hold up a sign on the street corner that says.. "will pay for a new rear-end" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif ...Anyone in my area that wants a job?

13. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That's too much.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What's a good price to have it done,, local 4x4 shop wanted $1500 and Randy's Ring and Pinion wanted $1200.. u know of any places in the seattle area?

14. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I personally wish I went to 4.56, but went 4.10's and 33's. Still better performance than stock combo. Also, I would consider putting a locker in the rear and your govlock in front. My suburban is a daily driver and I have no issues with those supposed driving conditions that you have to get used to. You will be much happier than limited slip. Also, I did all at the same time to cut down on the labor, and it cost me around $2000 which included a detroit locker in the rear, limited slip in front & the needed gears for both. Look for another shop, and purchase the parts on your own. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif