Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4.5L Caddy engine swap help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JohnSPledg, Mar 16, 2002.

1. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

Feb 22, 2001
    Anyone ever played with a late 80's (88) Caddy 4.5L v-8? I have a good engine, and would love to drop it in my 61 IHC Scout 80. I don't know what tranny if any will fit it. Right now the engine is in my wrecked Fleetwood. It is a frontwheel drive engine, but if I can get a tranny to bolt up, I will get the mounts fabbed. This engine is just screaming to be put in a 4x4. Its a light weight v8 with tons of power. It is lighter the the factory 4 banger, gets better milage, and better output. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can't get this one done, I'll have to sell the caddy and scout for scrap to finance my 72 k5 and 71 c10 projects.
  2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dec 14, 2001
    Do yourself a BIG favor and get rid of that engine. The caddy 4.1 and 4.5 were very troublesome engines for head gasket failures. These engines use aluminum blocks and cast iron heads. I don't know what GM was thinking when they built those engines. Just to let you know, when the dealer has one of those come in for engine repairs they don't repair they replace, that should tell you something about them. Goodluck if you do decide to use it.