Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" 6.5 exhaust fell into my lap...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SubYuman, Jul 2, 2006.

1. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

I would guess it fits, since the stock exhaust I scavenged from a 98 Suburban fit.
    SO here's the deal. I am about to pay off the Thorley headers and am going to run a single pipe exhaust. This 4" setup WAS going into a 99 Diesel, but the guy ended up wrecking it. He offered it to me for $100, but we swapped a few services and I got it for $50.
    DOes anyone know if the setup is easily modified to fit my gas rig and would the 4" work well with my 498 Big block? I don't want to kill the low end, but if I had to I could put a 3" or 3.5" restrictor at the end of the pipe.
    Point is I would NEVER be able to come up with a new exhaust, collector to exit for cheaper than this... I would have to get a 4" to 3" reducer for a Cat, or use a random tech 4" cat ($220) but since I'm not due for an inspection until June 07... it could wait.
    One more thing. DOes anyone know why GM put the muffler BEFORE the cat on this setup? I stopped a guy in a parking lot once just to see if it was some sort of fluke and his was the same way.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It might not be a cat. I know that some diesels have resonators on them to help dull the sound more.

A 4" exhaust is going to be alot even for a 500CID motor. 4" is more then plenty for diesel motors making up to 600HP or something like that.

Harley

3. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

It's a cat..

Or I should say it was a cat...
    I removed the stock one when the stock exhaust gave up the ghost... put in a 3" GIBSON FLOW THRU muffler and a stock exhaust pipe from a newer Burb.
    Again, this is a gas motor. I have a buddy with a Banks power pack on his gas Burb and it has a 3.5" exhaust/muffler with a Magna flow high flow cat on....