Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4-6 inch raised steering are on 2.5 lift? NOT GOOD

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DuneRunner, Mar 24, 2002.

1. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

OK for the past week and a half I have had a 4-6 inch raised steering arm on my K5 that is raised 2.5 inches. and it is probably one of the scariest things driving NOW. Has anyone ever done this? I have figured out what I believe to be the problem.

The raised arm hits the Draglink (I think thats what its called) (adjustable threded arm that connects to the Pitman arm) Well when I hit a bump the new arm comes in contact with the drag link and causes the pitman arm to move causing the steering wheel to bounce around. It is HECK A Scarry. Is it worth getting one of the "S" shaped draglinks or just go back to the factory Arm. THe only problem I see going back is the loss of travel due to the factory hight of the arm. OR should I try and get a new pitman Arm? Sorry for all of the BLA BLAing. IT is just that I'm Scared while driving on the freeway at 60-65 and hit a bump in the road and almost go off it. Any help would be SO GReatly appreciated. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I would put it back to stock. When I had a 2.5" lift on my Jimmy I left it stock, and had no bump steer.

3. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

stock steering arm should work fine

4. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I've had a 2.5 inch lift on my truck for 4 years and it is just fine with the stock steering.

5. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hey ken I too have to say go to the stock arm and hold onto the raised one for the new lift,less you have to buy with the new kit.

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I have 2.5" springs on the front..Left the stock set-up (ie.Pitman arm, Drag link) Been working fine for about 3 years now

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

For a 2.5" lift, I would go back to the stock steering arm and draglink and get the Skyjacker 1.5" drop pitman arm. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Skyjacker 1.5" drop pitman arm How much do they cost?

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

About $75. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Just lift it higher/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ideally what you want is the drag link as close to parallel as possible with the rear being very slghtly lower than the front. This is so that when you hit a bump and the front suspension is under slight compression the drag link is parallel and won't give you any bump steer. You would probably be ok with all the factory components and no dropped drag link with the 2.5" lift. Just my $.02

12. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Scott & every one else. THANK YOU.
    It has been a PUCKER FACTOR OF 9 out of 10 while driving. I mean My sholders were tense (sp) just driving it. Not sure what was going to happen. I'm going to do it this week. NOW that it takes only 1.5 minutes with AIR tools LOL my previous post last week. I was having issues with droop on the drivers side but I would rather raise a tire while wheeling rather then Loose control on the freeway triing(SP) to drive it to my destination (SP)

Again thak you ANd I will look into the drop pitman arm.
    You guys rock.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's what I did....lift it higher, only because I didn't happen to have a stock arm, and I had to cut mine up to remove it so I figured I'd never be able to get a stock one!

I had a 2.5" lift with no correction, but the drop pitman arm seems like a great idea.

That way you could step up to a 6" lift with your steering arm/pitman arm pair should you ever decide to go higher.

14. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Either stock steering with the 2 1/2" lift or a Skyjacker dropped pitman arm.