Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4'', 6'' or 8'' lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Gmck2500mudder, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Gmck2500mudder

Gmck2500mudder Registered Member

Hi,
    What is the wy to go when lifting my truck? 8" in the front with four in the back and shackle flip or 6" in the front with 2 in the back and a shackle flip? Or any other suggestions are wlecome. Thanks a lot
    Oh and also. Can you buy the lift springs on their own or just in a kit?

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

errr ok so lets see....

#1 what size tire ya gonna run
    #2 what you gonna do with the truck
    #3 ya got money or runnin on hopefull dreams?

there are guys running 4" and 44's
    guys with shackle flips
    guys like me without shackle flip, 6" and 1" ord zero rate runnin 40" hawgs on 16.5x12 to pull the height down a bit to a nice 38.8"

gotta help us out dude... :crazy:

oh yeah everything can be bought individually... however not the cheapest way.. kits are for a combined unit that works plus they usually cut a small break in price....

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Personally, I don't like more than a 6" lift for serious off roading. I just recently dropped down from a 6" lift to a very flexy 4"-5" lift and I'm running 44" TSL's. I'm going to be doing some serious fender and grill mod's to make my tires fit this time. I moved my axle foreward about 4" and the rear axle back about 3". Here's a picture of 6" of lift and 44" tires. Low and slow is the way to go. :thumb:
    [​IMG]

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

when you moved the front did you put the front spring mount just in front of the body mount. how did you deal with the shackle mount. I am running 44's and want to take the body lift off. not afraid to cut metal up front but I am all the way there for room against the cab.

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I moved the spring mount in front of the body mount like everyone else that does 52" springs, my shackle mount is stock with ORD shackles. I added a zero rate to the springs and moved the axle 1.5" foreward with that. Total is about 4" foreward and 4" of lift with the springs up front. In the rear I have 64" springs with a Belltech lowering shackle (7.5" long) and a very steep shackle angle using a home made shackle flip. I get close to a foot of vertical travel with my setup from the rear. The fronts are close to that and would be at least that much if I moved my shackles... I just don't have the drive shafts to support the massive amounts of droop from the front if I move the shackles, for now they limit my travel to a reasonable amount.

6. Gmck2500mudder

Alrighty
    #1- I have 36' goodyear rangler military tires right now but when they are done id like to go with 38's

#2- I use it for mud runs around my area and we have some decent trails and paarks to rip around in.

#3- I have money. Roughly what would it cost though?

I was thinkin about a shackle flip for more articulation.

What is my best bet?

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you have money heres what I think you should do Get on http://diy4x.com
    Get the B 52 kit use 52" springs up front. You will need lift springs if you want to go higher than 4" Get a crossover steering kit from ORD. A shackle flip from whomevers design you like the best and lift springs to match. You may need zerorates ( check ORDs website http://offroaddesign.com) to play with axle placement. Extend the shock mounts on the front and get the shock inboarding kit from DIY and you are good to go. I think this would give you great flexability and a smooth ride. You will have more body roll on the road than just lift springs but its gonna ride way better than normal lift springs too. One more thing use a quality shock.

8. Gmck2500mudder

What exactly are zerorates?

9. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

give 1" of lift, they bolt to the bottom of the spring pack. You can use them just for 1" of lift, or you can move the axle forward/back 1" or 1.5". Much safer and better than a lift block.

10. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

11. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hmm looks like the guys have this under control but from your name I'm thinking that you have a newer truck since you said 2500 and not 20 so have you done a SAS or is it still IFS? Basically what I'm after is what year is your rig?

-Avery

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

whatever the absolute minimum is that will still allow your tires to fit... after mad sawzall action. :thumb:

j