Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4.88 Gear install question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Me89'Jimmy, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I installed a new set of 4.88s a few days ago we got the font and rear done fine. however i was driving down the road yesterday and i started to hear a sort of grinding noise, i know thats not good. its a Gm corprate 10 bolts with a posi. any ideas

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

You had better pop the cover and check those gears. After popping the cover turn the wheels and listen for any subtile grinding. Could be the bearings too....just too hard to tell without being there and looking at it

3. LIFSVR7

LIFSVR7 Registered Member

Well, from my understanding, is that it needs to be shimmed correctly... not too sure what that means, but that is what I was told... which is why I didn't do my own... (hopefully I didn't get taken for a ride) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, from my understanding, is that it needs to be shimmed correctly... not too sure what that means, but that is what I was told... which is why I didn't do my own... (hopefully I didn't get taken for a ride) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> You were told correctly, but "it needs to be shimmed correctly" is the oversimplification of the year. You can learn the basics of how gears get set up here. </font>