Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4.88's for 14b ff Thicker ring - no new carrier needed?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SubYuman, Nov 2, 2002.

1. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

4.88\'s for 14b ff Thicker ring - no new carrier needed?

I believe the company's name is Eagle Claw.... do you thinik the idea of a thicker gear is a good way to replace my stock gears for better all around drivability on 37's?

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Re: 4.88\'s for 14b ff Thicker ring - no new carrier needed?

lots of companies make thick gears. i pladn on using thick gears gor my 74. 5.23's i dotn want to buy a new carrier from my 3.73 ones.
    lots of folks are using the thick gears as well. no issues yet.
    Grant

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am running 4.56 thick gears in my 14bff. It has only been in there for about 2-3 months, but I have not had an issue yet. It is alot easier to find thick gears then find a 4.56 and up carrier for a 14bff too. Plus can having a thicker ring gear really hurt? Thinner yes, thicker I don't see why. The only way I can see it hurting is possibly by not being to run as much gear oil and having the diff run hotter. But I am using the Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil so I am not a bit worried about the little less gear oil or little extra heat.

4. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

I have a set of Precision Gear 4.88 thick gears with a locker in my 14 bolt, been in for 2 years with no problems and Im a lead foot.

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The thing to understand about 'thick' gearsets is that it in no way compromises any stength.
    Ring gear material is expensive. That is why there are carrier breaks. OEM manufacturers want to cut costs and so when the ring gear thickeness gets to be too great ($$$) they use a carrier with a different offset so that they can use use a ring gear with less material.
    The cost savings on 1 axle is neglible, but the savings on 1,000,000 is substantial. That's why they do it.
    On one Ford axle (can't remember which) they don't have any carrier breaks. The ring gears on the numerically higher gearsets would be considered a 'thick' gearset by someone looking at them, but it's the way Ford did it.
    So in short, go ahead and use thick gears if you want too. If you found a carrier for the new gears for really cheap, you could use it and save a little money (maybe 20 or 40 dollars) on a 'thick' gear set.
    -- Mike

6. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

hold up!!! what the heck is this thick and thin ring gear carp? i thought that if i just bought a new set of 4.88:1 gears off of a differential store, then they will fit. am i correct, cause this is confusing as crap. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Your actually better off with a 4:10 and higher carrier for the C14FF. I have the 4:56 and lower carrier which, believe it or not, is harder and more $$ to find lower gear sets for than the higher geared carrier putting in “thick” gears! For the C14FF, there is no down side (that I am aware of) to using the “high geared” carrier.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It appears you have 10 bolts in your rig. You do not have to worry unless you have a 2.56 carrier and gears. 10 bolts only have 2 carriers, 1 for 2.56 gears only and then 1 for 2.73-5.57. The thick gear you are talking about is for use when you have say a carrier for 4.10 and numerically lower gears and want to install say 4.56 and numerically higher gears on the 4.10 carrier.

9. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

i was talking about the 14b, sorry if i did not make it clear. i have a 14b for my 81, and i am now really confused about all of this thick and thin stuff. sorry

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I will say it again.
    There is no downside to using 'thick' gears except that they may cost you a little more to buy.
    It's that simple.
    -- Mike