Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 barrel Carb on a inline 6 "292CI"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Looksback, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

4 barrel Carb on a inline 6 \"292CI\"

I have been tring to put a 4 barrel carb on my 292ci inline six, but the intake manifolds are vary expensive about $219.99 + S&H "From JC Whitney", but I do not have that kind of money would anybody out there have one thay might be tring to gett rid of?

Thanks for the time
    LooksBack

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

Re: 4 barrel Carb on a inline 6 \"292CI\"

i dont have one but i would like to see a pic when you do get it together.i dont think you could run A very big carb on a 6 cylander.what are you thinking of running?

3. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

you mightwant to check clifford performance.they make a ton of I-6 perfprmance goodies.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If you want to get by cheap you can just run an adapter but then you have a limitation of the opening in the stock manifold. Does your motor have a 1 or 2 barrel to start with? The 2 bbl stock manifold would be a good upgrade from a 1 bbl and a 2 to 4 bbl adapter would be ok and still keep it cheap.

5. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Well for one, the 292ci has a one barrel carb on it, but I was hopeing of putting a 4 barrel one it, but there is one thing I am worried about, that is trying to find a air cleaner that is not to large because the brake master cylinder would be in the way.
    But there is an intake manifold in the 1947-1954 Chevy-Duty catalog that 2 one barrel carb's can fit on. I can post a photo of my current set-up in about 2 hours. will put a lik on to look at.

6. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

2 barrel would be your best bet....Clifford has everything you will need. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Well here is the link for the photos of the current set up I now have: http://www.geocities.com/looksback/Supply.html
    Dose -Clifford- Have a web Site?, I have seen a intake that uses two, one barrel carb's, I think that would be my best choice, because most air cleaners would be to large and my master brake cylinder would be in the way.

LooksBack

8. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

ive seen it done on ferds 300ci I-6, i hear that they make the horsepower and torque gains, personally if i had an ol' 4x4 truck with that setup, id go for it, id put that thing on there

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

http://www.cliffordperformance.com id say stick with a two barrel because a 292 wont use that much gas, it will just be overfeuled.

10. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Also how would daul exaust work, the exaust manifolds can be bought, but that much loss of compression on a six?. but with a two 1 barrel carb's maybe a good idea?

Looksback

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I put a Clifford 4V intake and headers on my '66 C10 w/250 c.i. along with a 600cfm Holley. The headers have 2-1/2" collectors and run into a dual-in/dual-out Borla. She's loud alright! I didn't have room to store my truck, and my buddy needed wheels.... so he's driving it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The intake, headers, and carb cost me about $750 CDN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The heated water jacket was essential. It would not run properly until it was plumbed in. The headers were shorties, and NOT for a manual transmission... I had to fab up a tight 90* to get past the bellcrank.

I wanted a 390cfm 4V, but it would have cost me double what the 600 did, less common I guess. The 4V *should* be more streetable than a 2V, since you cruise with only two barrels open anyway, and half of 390 is a mere 180cfm. I couldn't find a universal Holley-type 2V carb under 500cfm. This Clifford intake can be had with two different top plates - a Holley 4V (which I got) or a Holley 2V.

I'm using an air cleaner off an 87-93 4.3L TBI S-10 pickup.

There's a more complete write-up on a 292 4V at Truckworld:
    http://www.truckworld.com/How-To-Tech/Chevrolet-Engine/Chevy-engine.html

12. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

If power is what you're looking for, why not find a working used 350 and swap it in there?

13. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Good idea, I will have to keep an eye out for some air cleaners from an S-10 "4.3L do thay have 3 cylinders on each side?" The reason I do not just go with a V8 265, 283, 305, & 350. well not sure, I would rather keep the truck sort of orginal and stay with the 292. Another thing I like the MPG, but would like a few more horses under the hood.

LooksBack

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The reason I stuck with the "six" was the neat factor. The 350 would be hard on the SM420 (rated for 281 lb-ft). I didn't have V8 frame brackets, and driveshaft needed to be lengthened.

Nice room under the hood with the six too!

15. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Don't mean to side track this thread but since you guys are talking about 292 stuff... Does anyone know of a source for the engine crossmember and motor mount brackets for a 292? These would have to be out of a 73-86 4wd. I have looked around the local salvage yards with no luck and GM has discontinued them.

U2Slow if you want to swap I've got a crossmember with brackets for a V8 out of an 84 K30... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

How soon do you need them? I have a line on a 77 K30 w/a 292. Trying to talk the owner out of it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

No rush on needing the stuff, it's for a project that I'm collecting parts for (right now it's a bare frame). I've got most of the drivetrain but I still need to find a body before I start.

If you get it, let me know what you want for the crossmember/brackets because I'll definitely need them.

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Also I was woundering how would a two speed rear end work with a 292ci, and are thay easy to find? my normal gears are 4.56:1 "I think".

Looksback

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A buddy of mine rebuilt a 258 Jeep I-6 a few years ago and gave it the whole Clifford treatment. Intake, headers, cam, and a Holley 390 CFM 4 barrel carb. He was VERY happy with the results!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Do you know for sure if a 292 4x4 was ever offered? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I've only seen them with a 250 c.i. Not trying to rain on anyones parade... it could be just a like a 454 K-Suburban - sounds sensible, but never offered.

I'm dredging through my memory here... but aren't the 250c.i. mounts the same as V8 mounts on a 73-up 4x4? Now if it is, the only difference between the 250 and 292 is the passenger side mount sits further back, correct? Couldn't you just drill/cut the rivets and mount the frame bracket where it needs to be? At least the engine-side of the bracket, and the rubber mount itself, interchange from 2wd to 4wd.

I've got a crossmember with brackets for a V8 out of an 84 K30...

Thanks, but I've got lots of that stuff. I'm parts rich and time poor! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif