Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 Core brass or 2 Core aluminum?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUB-ZERO, Jun 10, 2005.

1. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I need a radiator.Which is best, 4 core brass or 2 core aluminum? Do they make a 4 core aluminum? I want OVERKILL like a big dog!!

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Once I was talking with Flex-A-Lite and the guy on the phone said a qualty 2 core Alum rad will cool better than a 4cor rad that GM puts with BBC or whatever...
    I run a GM 4core style as the 2core was like 500bucks and the 4 core was 170...so
    My 350 and now my 454 do not have any cooling issues...so far :D
    .02c :D

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've been told by folks working rebuilding radiators that the aluminum ones tend to have problems with the tanks leaking. Of course they say all the failures all day long, so that may not be a good sample.

However, our trucks bodies do flex a lot, I was contemplating putting an AL radiator in mine, but decided against it just in case it flexes enough to cause problems. An AL radiator will cool better, but as long as the cooling system is in good shape and not overloaded, copper/brass will work fine.