Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4-core question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tree_entz, Jul 8, 2004.

1. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

ok, so i'm finally rebuilding the nose on my truck. some of you may remember my previous radiator problems.
    i've got a 4-core that I used to have in the thing, but took out cause of some minor damage (nothing a little soldering cant fix)
    QUESTION: what are the types of mounting brakets used for 4-cores?
    one of my friend's has his 4-core mounted w/ just bigger brackets like a regular 2-core. The truck I originally got my 4-core from (454 1 ton?) had this sheet metal type cover/bracket w/ the rubber pieces attatched to it. but I dont see how it will work on my nose cause of that small 1/4 ridge of sheet metal along the top of the radiator support/front clip. does this sound like an aftermarket thing?
    what is the best way to mount it in there /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    yeah yeah, i've used bungies and every other thing under the sun before, i want to do this RIGHT! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

also, who has problems w/ thier radiator staying in place from flexing? i hope i wont have any problems now.
    i'll try to send some pics along too, that clip was BEAT!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get yourself those radiator covers and rubber things from LMC truck, Chevy Duty, or Year one (one of the restoration parts suppliers).

The correct way is to bolt it in just like yours is with some deeper brackets.

I have never had issues with my radiator moving from flexing. I've had all kinds of other crap happen but never that.

3. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

can i get those deeper brackets from the same sources?
    I've got that sheet metal cover thing already, but really dont see how to mount it to the top of the clip/rad. suport though.

4. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

oh, incase i didn't mention it, the 'radiator cover' or 'sheet metal thing' i spoke of has the rubber pieces mounted to it so it was acting like the top bracket. WTF
    i cant see how that is supposed to work. damn, i need a dig. camera.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

All the 4 core upper radiator pieces I have seen are ONE sheet metal piece. All the 2 and 3 core pieces I have seen are twp pieces, one on each side.

The 4 core piece just bolts into the same holes as the 2 and 3 core pieces.

Sounds like something else is going on with your setup, I'm sure you'd notice that it bolts to the same location.

6. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

I checked some of the reccomended resto places and all they had was the one piece setups and all they differed by was year. It looks as though they are supposed to bolt on top of the clip not on the engine bay side like the brackets do?
    all they offered at ltc or whatever was the one piece setups. i'm soo confused. like I said, a friend of myne has a pickup and a blazer and both have 4 cores w/ a bracket setup, not the sheet metal types. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

7. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I put a 4 core in my 89 K5 and I used the brackets from a 81-87 truck with a deisel. It was the two brackets and they bolted on from the top. What year are you working with?

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

The correct way is to bolt it in just like yours is with some deeper brackets.

[/ QUOTE ]Yep, thats all you need...the same bracket but 1" or so longer. If you don't care about looks then just cut your brackets in half and weld 1" or so of flat bar in between the pieces effectively extending it to fit over the extra depth, thats what I did. THe right way would be to just get new 4 core brackets like Tim said.

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well mine it outta a 88 burban w/ 454. The top bracket is the sheet metal type, ive looked through all my pics and dont seem to have a pic of it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif . Anyway, mine also had ac and the lines ran behind it, maybe that is the deciding factor, I am not sure. The sheetmetal way works, it sits over that metal lip, bolt runs through top of bracket and holds it down. It also has 4 of those rubber feet in it.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ahh...sounds to me like maybe you have seen or have the "short" radiator brackets? I don't recall where they bolt (never seen them personally) but I do know that they "dip down" inside the engine bay.

On a "standard height" (I think all 4 cores were the "tall" style) radiator, either setup (one or two "brackets") is bolted to the core support "top". I believe the height difference is 17" for short and 19" for tall.

I had a two core that was tall, the current 3 core is tall, and my dads 4 core is tall also. But I do know for a fact the short ones are around, just not common.

Maybe I'm wrong about your setup and what you are seeing, but AFAIK, there are ONLY the three different bracket setups for '81-91. (two piece short, two piece tall, one piece tall) Maybe the huge diesel radiator is slightly different, but never seen one of those either. It may use the same two piece "tall" brackets, just mounted even further apart.