Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 core radiator problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88k5blazin, Apr 8, 2007.

1. 88k5blazin

88k5blazin 1/2 ton status

i swapped in a 4 core radiator into my 88 k5 and for some reason the brackets are not matchin the original bolt holes is this a normal problem and some type of fab work is required let me know what ya think. the bolt on the left is where the original hole was and the whole bracket is sitting to the right

Picture from trails and new years 092.jpg

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Did you think of swapping brakets from side to side?
    Looks to me like you have them on the wrong side. :confused:

3. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

x2!

4. 88k5blazin

radiator

yeah i tried them on the other side to but it still did not work the radiator itself is not as wide as the stock one. the cap on the stock one sat to the left of where the holes on the left side are instead of sitting right in front of it like in the picture

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Right there is your problem. You need new brackets that fit your rig but for that particular radiator length. Also the brackets are different for the different thickness radiators.

6. 88k5blazin

radiator

i got the brackets that go with the radiator would that still not be the right ones since its goin on a k5

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What vehicle is that 4 core out of?

I'm not even sure there IS a narrower radiator for the trucks, only standard width (which it looks like yours is) and wider. (plus shorter, but I think the width is the same as the standard radiator) If the core support was used in a truck with a WIDER radiator (diesel for instance) it's got threaded holes further out.

8. 88k5blazin

i honestly could not tell ya what i came out of. you think i should leave it as is with the one bolt in or is there a way to get a nut underneath the front up to drill a hole and bolt the other one in

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

To be honest with you, I think you need to get a radiator that fits correctly. Not being bolted down correctly isn't good for the radiator, and will make keeping it in place tough. Not only that, but going smaller than stock, with a used radiator (assuming it is, since unknown app) is just asking for overheating problems.

I understand money can be tight, but jury rigging a radiator just isn't the way to go. If you were local, I'd *give* you my old radiator so you don't use that one. :)

10. 88k5blazin

the radiator i just put in is actually bigger the stock one was a two core i believe and this one is a 4 core. i think the only part that is smaller is the side by about 2 inches