Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 core radiator???????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Oct 3, 2000.

I want to put a 4-core in the burb, but I am not sure which or what one to get. I asked the people at radiator.com and they said all of there 4 cores that fit my model are 17" cores, but the one I have is 19" tall and is too short to fit the stock mounts from top to bottom. Left and right bottom mounts are fine. The guy I bought the Burb from had put too small of a radiator in it, but it has worked fine(Just doesn't fit right). I am looking at upgrading to a 4-core and need to know where to get one(new or reman), maybe even a salvage yard and where to get the mount(s)(rubber upper and lowers with the metal upper one(s) too). Mine measures 28 3/8" wide from the rubber mount to mount and is a 19" tall core(but is too short.(Top to bottom mount is about 2inches shy of being tall enough). I know there are some folks out there that have done this so help me out.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

1. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I took mine out of a 80 something towtruck with a bigblock. It fit great, I dont know the measurments, but ill check if you like. I did have to steal the top mounts from the same rig because the new radiator was wider then the last one. Here is a suggestion, when you swap radiators, comepletly drain the water from your motor, and refill it with "distilled" water. It doesnt have any minerals and will cool better also I strongly Recomend using WATER WETTER from Redline oils http://www.redlineoil.com/prod_frameset.htm
    I did and I love it. I also replaced my temp gauge and my thermostat at the same time. Dont forget a new radiator cap. Anyway my rig runs at 160 90% of the time. On the trail it heats uo to a whopping 190 or 200. Temp is one of my greates concerns and i watch it like a hawk. I dont have any problems at all anymore. I tested it well this summer down here in Dallas,Texas. 90 days no rain 100+ weather and it never ever ran hot. Good luck. HAVE NICE DAY!!!

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

He's my .02 cents Bigburb. My Jimmy was a diesel, Its now a bored 350. The Radiator that was in the truck is HUGE, and it is a four core. I do a lot of towing and actually have two temperature gages in the truck, One is in the top of the elbow thing going into the intake and the other is in the radiator. I have a 160 themostat. The elbow one never goes over 160, and the one in the radiator goes to 120 sometimes up to 130. Its really efficient. So try to get a diesels radiator. and all the brackets and shroud, my small block does line up to it. Try calling 1-800-max-cool, they sell radiators...........good luck, js

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes, i would definately get a diesel rad... I had one also and they are huge!!!! My Jimmy used to be a diesel also and had the dual battereis, the supports for the diesel radiator are about 3 inches from the batteries, that thing went all the way across on both side and came within inches of the batteries. I miss that thing!!! My Salvage yard told me he could get one for $100... Or try Auto ZOne they have them for about $300....

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. looking into it !!

Thanks to all of you guys on the info. I am gonna head out to the slavage yards and hunt for a diesel 4 core and get some measurements. I need to see how the thing has to mounted too !! I'll let you all know !

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Seems kinda amazing there isn't a "factory replacement" part number for your truck. Had to have had a 4 core option sometime in your truck's year history, no? My 79 Blazer with the 400 came with a 4 core and it is the only way to go, regardless of motor. I know there were some Suburbans with 400's and/or with tow packages that must have had 4 core rads.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

6. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

The diesel rad is IR2098. I bought mine at AutoZone. It is a GDI brand and is made in Mexico (at least the one I received was.) There is some stuff that looks like metal banding arcoss the rad. I called the factory and it IS part of the rad. Don't clip it off.

You will need to splice in a chunk of rad hose because the connection is a few inches farther
    to drivers side than gas rad. I did this with a piece of copper
    pipe and a chunk of another hose.

I also took a 4" knock out punch and opened up the sheet metal in front of the rad.

SteveB

7. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

BIGBURB one other thing about the diesel radiator. the upper and lower radiator hose openings are A LOT bigger than the small block radiator ones. I got around this by using exhaust reducers. Beware though the reducers will rust out so change them often. I will probably wait until spring when I do my tuneup. If you have any questions fell free to ask.....js

8. Still searching !!

To run a diesel radiator(without chopping and hacking) I would have to get a new radiator/core support and no thanks. I am still looking !! I would think that the 454 Burbs would run a 4 core. I will need the upper mounting bracket(s) and new rubber mounts too. I will search and destroy.

9. Steve_87K5

Re: Still searching !!

rad hold down bracket R GM 14039950 bracket
    rad hold down bracket L GM 14039949 bracket
    rubber mounting pads GM 6264100 pad

SteveB

10. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Just get the upper mounts like Dblazer mentioned. I put the taller 4core in my 87 and the 454 stays below 185 on hot days. You should get the taller fan shroud too.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

11. Steve_87K5

ooops, forgot the shroud p/n for the diesel rad: GM 14039948
    BTW< I didn't have to cut anything for the diesel rad, it dropped in ('87 K5)

SteveB

12. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

See if there is an radiator supply house in your area. Bought a new four core for my 78 k-10 for 178.00. Priced the same thing at pep boys it was 340.00. And the 3 core at pep boys was 275.00.