Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" EZ Ride and caster Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by southernspeed, Apr 29, 2006.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

There must be some of you out there running this combo:
    ORD shackle flip + 1" zeros on a 12blt
    4" EZ Ride springs in front
    Cross over on a 10blt
    hydro assist.

Question is, I now have terrible steering manners. It feels so unstable. You have to 'steer it all the time and I'm too scared to get it over 30mph!! It seems like a combination really bad sway and bad bump steer.
    Has anyone had to correct their caster angle with this combination?
    I've nearly finished the truck after months of work and thousands of $$$ and now I'm wishing it was stock again!
    Any suggestions welcome from those who know!!

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

First thought is that the U-bolts aren't tight enough. Did you use a torque wrench to install them? When I installed them "pretty tight" when I put the lift on my '90 Sub, it wandered all over the road. Once I torqued them to spec (which took a LOT more turns on the nuts!), it behaved WAY better.

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Yea, its 160 ft. lbs. isn't it? It does make a difference.

4. southernspeed

Yeah, all torqued. 140ft/lb if I remember correctly. I 'roughly checked the toe in. I had a small degree of toe in, prob just about right. I've given it a turn out to almost zero toe in but haven't had a chance to drive it tonight. I'm leaning toward caster at the moment. And I've gotta quicken up this steering, it's like steering a big motor boat! turn the wheel and wait for the results!

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Whats the history on the box?

I remember when my Power Wagon had a bad box, boy was that treacherous... :doah: :haha:

6. southernspeed

well, it's a 170,000mile box that steered fine on the truck while it was stock. However, when I tapped the box for hydro I stripped it right down and replaced all the seals (and put all the balls back that fell out!:doah: ).
    I set up the adjustments according to the manual, as far as I know I got them right! Guess I could look at that again.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

How big is the ram and have you modded the pump for more flow or volume? The natural 'return to center' would probably be quite impaired if the ram is too large or the pump isn't able to move the ram quickly enough.

Toe-in should be 1/8"-3/16".

I'd consider taking the hydro assist out of the equation and going for a drive. A pair of 1/4" NPT plugs, pull the ram and lines out and try it. If it drives decently again you know you've found the problem.

Rene

8. southernspeed

yeah that's not a bad idea actually. This is my first experience with a ram. Can't remember the size at the moment but it wasn't the 2" one. 1 3/4?? maybe.
    I did all the posted mods on the pressure valve except for notching out the small hole in the side of the pressure valve which I believe is to increase flow at low rpm????
    It certainly feels like it's not returning to centre and it is s-l-o-w to steer initially. You turn the steering wheel expecting to be somewhere, and then wait to get there....scary!

9. southernspeed

Well I disco'd the ram today completely. It steers quicker now but is still all over the road. Scary as hell.
    I haven't had a chance to check the caster yet. I need to pick up some gauges from a friend.
    This is really weird, lots of you must be using this lift without trouble. I just can't put my finger on what it could be. Guess I'll have to wait 'till I check the geometry and go from there. In the mean time, if anyone has any suggestions???

Oh and the ram was only 40mm anyway (about 1 1/2")

Thanks for any input guys.

10. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Something to check and I mention this because I just got religion, all the frame rivets are tight? The ones to attach the spring bracket(s). I'm replacing mine with grade 8 hardware. My brackets had started to move.

11. southernspeed

I'll check but it drove fine before the lift and cross over. Thanks though and I'll check.

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Do you have an angle finder?? Lay it on top of your flat-top knuckle and check that caster angle. IIRC, a D60 is supposed to have about 4 - 6* of positive caster. I'm not sure about the 1/2-Ton stuff....but a bad caster angle can definitely cause the "non return to center" problem. :thinking:

13. southernspeed

Am i right in thinking that 'return to centre' is controlled soley by caster? The steering box has nothing to do with it does it?

14. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

When you think about it, the front spring mount bracketry (3 pieces) react all the motions of the front axle assy. I stiffened-up the frame ends as well, probably contributed. And the ORD bolt-on box brace. And bolted-up the holes from the sway bar delete. :haha:

15. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I wouldn't say that caster is the ONLY thing.....but your symptoms seem to point towards that.

Also,

Any sort of "binding" in the steering components could also cause that jerkiness. Maybe the ram is non-linear in the way it's delivering it's "assist"?? A steering box that won't turn freely from lock to lock might give you sticky spots in the steering.....maybe a PS pump that's going bad and not delivering consistent pressure???

Lots of ideas, I just don't know if any of them are any good! :D

16. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

The box does have its own center, info in the factory manual.

17. southernspeed

All ideas welcome! There's no stiffness, and everything moves freely. There's no 'jerkiness' as such...it's just really vague and wanders all over the place.
    I should get those guages by the weekend to check the caster.

18. southernspeed

Interesting...especially as I completely stripped mine. I wonder if it's fighting against the caster angles centering motion?

19. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

IIRC the manual addresses that and the difficultly in set-up. Again, IIRC, the way its described its like a bell curve and I guess if you've got one center input of tracking from ground, and a second center in the box, and unless they are superimposed, it will seem to wander from one to the other. Sorry Dorian, I won't have time to dig up chapter & verse, until Tues.:D

20. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

is the box reacting immediately? maybe get the mrs's out there to turn the wheel while you watch down below..

i remember you researching your geometry on here and thought you had a good handle on that, drag link angle, etc.

keep us posted, i'd like to hear what you find...