Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 Headlight System Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Effyoo, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Effyoo

Effyoo Registered Member

Hi all...I'm new to the group. Just bought an 88 Jimmy with 4 headlight system. When lows are on, top 2 beams are lit. When hi's are on, top 2 beams get bright....when in the blue hell do the bottom two come on? Truck also has plow lights, so lighting circuit may be modified. Please tell me I don't have to tape two flashlights on the inside of my core support!! :)

"There are 3 kinds of people in this world...Those who can count, and those who can't"

2. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Top 2 are low beam. All 4 lights should be on with high beam. maybe the bottom lights are just unpluged.

A BIG HAMMER CAN FIX ANYTHING.... [​IMG]

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The top lights have two filaments. One for low beam and another for high beam. The lower lights have a single filament that comes on only when the switch is set to high beam. It's possible that the lower lights are just burned out. Most drivers wouldn't even notice. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Is the truck equipped with day time running lights? My 88s' headlights work 2 lo, 4 hi while my 90 needed a quad kit to perform this feat.
    Shawnboy.

If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.

5. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Instead of changing the bulbs, change to new lamps, there is a replacement lamp that goes right in and gives you bether highbeams.. cant remember any names, but I'l check tonight if you like.

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

6. Effyoo

Effyoo Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I don't have DRL's. I don't think they started that early did they? Espen.. I am familiar with the housings that replace the bulbs and then use a 9004 bulb..Is that what you're talking about? If not, I'll take some additional information if you can find it. Thanks again.

"There are 3 kinds of people in this world...Those who can count, and those who can't"

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hella makes a set of aftermarket lights for those rigs. I had a pair of them on my '87 Blazer. Both lenses were cracked from road debris within a year. [​IMG] None of the stock headlights ever cracked in the entire time I owned the truck. I think that the lead crystal lenses that Hella uses are just easier to break than the stock headlights.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Yes I think thats what I have. I went to get replacements and before I knew what was happening I had bought the Hella ones. I had to split the plug upp to get the ground where it was on the hella unit, other than that they have worked fine for me.

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>