Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 inch lift kits?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tch777, Sep 16, 2004.

1. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

I currently have an add a leaf lift on the Sub. I think that it is adding to the really bad body sway. I want to go to a 4 inch lift that is firm, not jarring, and not super flexy. Who makes a lift that fits this need?

Also I have the original body mounts on it too. Should I replace with new stock ones or polys. I think the polys will add a little more "road feel" to the ride and that is okay but if they add new vibrations and roughness then I don't want them.

Thanks

Tim

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The add a leaves will reduce body sway if anything, not add.

I'd replace the body bushings and go from there.

If your current bushings are shot in your springs though that might make a difference.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I currently have an add a leaf lift on the Sub. I think that it is adding to the really bad body sway. I want to go to a 4 inch lift that is firm, not jarring, and not super flexy. Who makes a lift that fits this need?

Also I have the original body mounts on it too. Should I replace with new stock ones or polys. I think the polys will add a little more "road feel" to the ride and that is okay but if they add new vibrations and roughness then I don't want them.

[/ QUOTE ] First off, Polys !!! Now 4" lift. I would probley call up ORD (970) 945-7777 www.offroaddesign.com and have them put together a complete 4" lift kit for you useing thier Shackle Flip for the rear (Providing your rear leaf springs are in good shape.)

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I would go shackle flip also , if your springs are good Like z3pr mentioned . I have driven mine for 8 months now flipped . I noticed the rear is smoother riding . At the same time though I did not lose load capacity ( I carry spares , full top , and once loaded a whole front 10 bolt with my stuff still in the truck with no sag ), and it drives just as nice as it did stock ( of course I take corners like a truck , not a car ) . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

So that shackle flip does not mess up the rig for towing or carrying cargo? This is a daily driver more of a street rig and light trail rig but no rock crawling. So Articulation is not a huge deal for me. This is a lifted Sub so I don't drive it like a car. Even pulling slowly into a driveway with just a slight slant the thing rocks and sways like I am out at sea. And the sweeping curves on the highway make me slow down to below the posted limit too. I have both front and rear sway bars too. I think the stock ruber spring bushings are really a big part of the problem.

Tim

6. renny

renny Registered Member

It sounds more like your shocks are bad to me.

7. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

They are new ES 3000s. Only 6 months old. Much better than the Rancho reflexs I took off! What is a good shock to use?

Tim

8. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I dont think that it is your shocks. I think that something is wore out or wrong, likely your spring bushings or something is lose or broke.

But you are gonna have more body roll due to all of the extra weight you have up top in the suburban.

Trey

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My personal opinion is that a shackle flip has no place on a vehicle that is towing.

(get your flame suits on, every time I say this I catch flak)

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    My personal opinion is that a shackle flip has no place on a vehicle that is towing.

(get your flame suits on, every time I say this I catch flak)

[/ QUOTE ] You have every right to your opinion, but lets not forget there are many people who tow with shackle flip without any problems.

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This is a lifted Sub so I don't drive it like a car. Even pulling slowly into a driveway with just a slight slant the thing rocks and sways like I am out at sea.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Something must be way "shot" on your truck. If I were you I would check all of the body mounts, spring bushings, the shocks, and make sure the swaybars are hooked up properly. Granted a lifted rig wont drive like a car, but the body sway you are talking about sounds way extreme. I drive a k5 with a 6" lift (2" more than yours so it should have worse body roll) and it is nowhere near that bad. Even with the swaybar unhooked on my truck and no rear shocks, the rear end would slide before the truck felt really tipsy. I could go around 35mph off ramps doing 55-60 and be fine. I hooked up the swaybar yesterday and my truck hardly leans in the corners at all now even without rear shocks. So something must be wrong with yours. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    -Harrison