Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 inch lift question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Norm, Mar 8, 2000.

1. Norm

Norm Registered Member

I have just installed a Rancho 4 inch lift on my 83 project Blazer. I used 4 inch springs in the front, and 4 inch blocks in the rear. The problem is the front is now 2 inches higher than the rear. From axle center to bottom of front fenders is 27 inches and axle center to bottom of the rear fender is 25 inches. Can someone else with a 4 or 6 inch lift sanity check me on this. I either need to put in an add-a-leaf or replace the rear springs, but in order to order new springs I need to make sure of the size. On another note, any recomendations on a body lift brand?

2. 77K-5

77K-5 Registered Member

Well luckily somebody told me about this problem before I installed my 4" lift on my '77. What I did is ordered 4" supderlift springs and 5.5" procomp blocks for the back.
    The reason for your prob is actually not a problem - the springs will take a while (6months or so) to release some of the flex. Right now with new springs it is more than what it is supposed to be cause they are new - they will wear down in a bit. Solution - get 5.5"block or new leafs in the back (matching)the front lift size.
    Good luck,
    BS

3. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

When I ordered my Tuff Contry 3" lift,, the guy one the phone said he would send me 4" rear springs.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

If you are going by the front end actually being higher when you look at it, the rear on all K-5's sag some. If you are going by measurments alone, take a look at the top body line and measure from it. The front wheel openings are higher up on the body than the rear. I cut out both of mine to the same height.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

5. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

Call me crazy, but my wheel wells look different when looking at one side. The front well comes up much higher than the rear. But you're right about Blazers sagging. Most lifts are designed with the Chevy truck in mind, and they don't have as much weight in the back. I solved mine by putting a 2" add-a-leaf. A lot of people will tell you don't do it, and on a truck I would agree. But on the back of a Blazer, with the added weight, it has worked well for me. It's a couple of years old, so it has weakened a little, but IMO it didn't ride that bad to begin with.

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

6. fredd

fredd 1/2 ton status

That's the way is usual is.
    On my '88 Jimmy, I put Skyjacker 2 1/2" up front and 4" on the rear.
    My '88 K5 has Skyjacker 4" up front and 6" on the rear.
    Both are level with these spring sets.

fredd

7. Matt N.

Matt N. Registered Member

I don't think it is 'sag' per se, but just the way the spring hangers in the vehicle were designed from the factory...after all, why would brand new springs be 2 in shorter in the rear? I would speculate it's probably to keep the tailgate managable for shorter people. Having 2 inches greater lift in the rear than the front is the way most people have attacked the issue...

8. I put a set of 3/4 ton rear springs on my 77 K-5 to level it with the Superlift 4" kit I had on it !!!

<font color=red>BigBurb<font color=red>[​IMG][​IMG]

9. wnderbra

wnderbra Registered Member

My 83 has the same 4in rancho lift with blocks in the rear.They have been on there for a long time and the rear is still 2in lower so I dont think the new springs will relax to the proper height.Try launching the truck big the landing may drop the front to match the rear naaah just buy more stuff what's money when you love your ride

10. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

easy answer...new springs, 4" taller than stock! stock is wore out old,sagging, best answer is new rear springs from rancho or add a leaf. Blazers shouldn't sag...they didnt from the factory. good luck

IT'S A BLAZIN PAST THAT JEEP THING...YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND