Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 inch lift questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5dreamer, Apr 16, 2007.

1. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

hey all, im thinkin about doin a 4 in lift on the griz, but have a few questions.

the front is a pretty simple deal, ill need springs and shocks, but the rear has me a bit confused, i know i should stay away from blocks, but which is better, a shackle flip kit, or new springs? im tryin to do this on somewhat of a budget, but id rather spend a little more and be safer.

ive seen some interesting kits from skyjacker, rough country, tuff country, and rancho, any thoughts on which ones are a decent price and will get the job done?

i was interested in getting some of skyjackers nitrogen shocks, the rancho ones i have on the truck now suck, im not pleased with them at all. think the nitrogen ones are overkill? the truck is a daily driver most of the time, with occational trail use, nothing major.

the lift is the first mod which will lead to 35's and lower gears.

also, what snags will i run into, from my understanding i wont have to do anything to the driveshafts, but ive been told ill have to put a 4in dropped drag link (um, whats a drag link?) and a 4in lower sway bar mount on it to work with the suspension travel. as well as brake line extentions. did i miss anything?

thanks in advance for any pointers and heads up.

P.S. im looking at the following kit on ebay, and would probly spend the 20 bucks to upgrade to the nitrogen shocks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/73-9...tegoryZ33585QQihZ013QQitemZ230117897771QQrdZ1

2. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

actually i might not do the nitrogen shocks with the kit, in a review they didnt seem to like them, they were way to stiff apparently. anyone have any suggestions on a good road shock with a 4in lift?

3. LEEREED123

LEEREED123 1/2 ton status

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

4" Tough Country or BDS springs up front.. 4" shackle flip out back.. Bilstein shocks...

5. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Up front you will need the 4" raised steering arm for your steering correction and thats it. NO BIGGIE there and they are only like $40. You can use your current draglink with it. The draglink is the short rod that goes from the steering box to the knuckle on teh axle. I would highly recommend the weld on frame kit that goes behind your steering box. These trucks are notorius for cracks in this area when lifted and bigger tires. I would also recommend a tranny cooler if you have an AT. Especially if you currently have 3.08 gears. Yes get the brakeline drop down brackets. For the sway bar you can prolly just order the drop kit from Superlift or look at theirs and make your own. Nothing to them really. Can't tell you much on shocks.
    For the rear you can do blocks or better yet just make your own shackle flip. This is the only pic I have of mine but it's so simple. The angle isn't perfect but for the wheelin I've done they seem to work fine. If it bothers you just relocate the hanger bracket. One note to mention- if you don't go with blocks with pinion angle cast into them then you will likely have to buy some degree shims or cut and weld your spring perches. Hope this helps.

Shackle flip.
    [​IMG]

It's hard to see but it's the only pic I have. Cold rolled bar stock. Holes drilled 4" apart. Fill gaps with large washers. Few dollars in materials bets 150 for a kit and it gets you away from blocks.
    [​IMG]