Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 inch lift with 57" springs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Heavymetal, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

4 inch lift with 57\" springs?

I am moving the rear spring hangers on my burb frame from their stock location (52' springs) back to accept 56" springs, a 4 inch move towards the rear. However if I move them back 5 inches I can use 2 of the original mounting holes. So I thought maybe I could use some f**d 57 inch springs and save myself some some work and gain some flex. My problem is this, all the articles I have read on here pertaining to f**d 57's use a shackle flip for lift. I do not want to do a shackle flip. Is it possible to get a 4 inch lift in the spring pack only? If so, how or where? Thanks, Mike.

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Re: 4 inch lift with 57\" springs?

You want to keep the tension shackle and run the 57's?

3. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Since you'll be going through the trouble of removing the spring hanger why not do a shackle flip while you're at it. If you don't want to spend the money for the flip brackets you can convert your stock hangers. As far as I know, the 57" springs won't give you any lift unless you do some kind of shackle flip.

4. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I just wanted to add thay your results may vary from K5's because Burbs are much more heavy in the rear. I don't know of anyone running 57 inchers on a Burb, you'll probably want to add some leafs to increase the spring rate to match the extra weight.

5. Heavymetal

The reason I don't use a shackle flip is because I want to still be able to tow with it, and I have heard the flip makes it less stable. Maybe I could add some leafs to increase height and help with the added weight of the burb butt.

6. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

It's not the shackle flip that will cost you to lose your ability to tow, it will be the 57" F*rd springs. Those springs are way too soft to tow safely with when they are under a K5 and I assume the same or worse exists for suburbans.

IIUC, with the ORD shackle flip and stock springs you will still be able to retain most, if not all your towing capacity.

7. Heavymetal

I guess I'll just bite the bullet and drill 4 holes, and stick with 56 inch GM springs. Thanks for all the input. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif