Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 inch lift ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BURBANDUX, May 6, 2005.

1. BURBANDUX

BURBANDUX Newbie

Need your advice on this issue: :confused: Ive got a 85 Chevy 4x4 Suburban. I have just intalled a 3 inch body lift..Now I am wanting to go with a 4 inch suspension lift. What is the best way to go about this ? Stay wtih stock springs and do a shackel flip ? or buy springs ?
    This is my 1st attempt at this and any advice would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if you have saggy butt problem get a 1-2" block also or springs or add a leaf. this will help level it out in the back.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

search the forums.... this is the most asked question of all time on ck5.

short answer: 4" lift springs in front, shackle flip in back... new longer shocks, brakelines etc. Yes, you may have to lengthen your driveshaft and/or run shims.

j

5. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Run springs in the rear if you tow. If you never tow things then a shackle flip is the way to go.

Now, I know some people tw with the shackle flip and have never had a problem, but I don't think I want to take the chance of something bad happening. General concensious is Do Not Tow With A Shackle Flip, so I'm sticking to that.

6. BURBANDUX

BURBANDUX Newbie

Thanks for the advice, since we will b using it for Duck Hunting and will be towing a small trailer, I will go with the new springs. Thanks again

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

NO, you do not have to get a longer driveshaft, if you run lifted springs on the rear, then shim it, if you run blocks, make sure they are the tapered ones.

Been runnin blocks for a few years now, and wheel the crap out of it with as serious flex as the rear shocks will allow,(they are longer than stock, but still limit travel) and i have NEVER had an issue with my driveshaft, or any vibrations from the different angle. The longer driveshaft on the Burbs are not as picky as the Blazers are with U-joints.

Runnin a shackle flip, you probably won't need shims, as the angle of your springs hangin on the flip kit will change.