Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 inch lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kerwinq, Mar 9, 2004.

1. kerwinq

kerwinq Registered Member

I am looking at the 4 inch lift kit from Rough Country. The price seems pretty good. Is anyone using the shocks that come with the kit and how good are they? I can get the kit for 80 less without the shocks but what would be a good choice if I did this.

Thanks for the help, Kerwin

75 Chevy 1/2 ton Shortbed 4X4
    85 1/2 ton Stepside Lowered 3/4

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I am using the Gabriels from Autozone in the rear, their a little longer, and I put my kit shocks for the rear up front. Someone I know with a rough country lift called them and got different shocks, but he has 2 up front each side. Are you going to use the lift blocks or something else. A shackle flip would ride better and no worries about block or longer u-bolts breaking or popping out. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. kerwinq

I was going to go with blocks in the rear but if the flip gives a better ride I will have to look at that more. Is there a company that has just the flip kit?

Thanks, Kerwin

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

4" block or shackle flip, it rides the same, still using the same spring. If your rear spring is wore out like mine is, just buy new springs all around. I am using a block and am having no problems with it. The shocks they originally sent me were not stiff enough for my problem of a sway from side to side while driving, so they sent me some nitrogen gas charged shocks which are rougher and did help out alot with the sway, but i still have it, i need new springs. The shocks that came with the kit are fine,and you should be ok with themm but i personally just needed some tighter ones for my particular problem.

5. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

I have the 4" Rough Country lift with springs in front AND rear. I would not reccomend the Rough Country line wether you use blocks or springs or whatever else. The Springs are stiff as hell!!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif. Even if you do a shackle flip, you will have the springs up front and that is where I notice the biggest problem. The front end bounces hard on dips in the road and continues to do so for a mile down the road /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. Off Road, the springs react to every little bump as if it were a 2 foot boulder at high speeds.
    If you look, there is a chart with the spring rates of many companies in here somewhere, and RC is second to highest! NOT GOOD!
    Anyway, not to burst your bubble, just sharing my own experience /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. There are several other brands comparibly priced that are MUCH better ON and OFF ROAD! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. kerwinq

Which kits are priced close to the Rough Country? When I talked to a Rep they said they were deluxe(?)ride springs.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I had this same hard ride problem when i had one of the shocks from the kit, and one Autozone shock ( i have dual shocks up front) it was as hard as a Mack truck, then took off the Autozone shock, and the ride smoothed out ALOT, but then had my sway problem, so as i mentioned, i replaced them with those Nitrogen gas shocks and it is a firm ride, but not hard, but the rear is still soggy as i also mentioned, the original wore out springs. BTW i have the EZ ride springs up front.

8. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

I went to e-bay and got 4in. rough country kit, $350. to my door, had everything I needed, I did not use the shocks as I had already bought rancho 5000's the year before (when trying to come up with enough parts to build a kit). Compared my backward banana springs these are great. yea they probly ride a little stiff, but work great holding up the front of the truck with the ramsey winch/bumper. I my self like mine, but it's just my .02

9. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I had the 4" rough country lift. The shocks were just fine to me. The lift wasn't enough thought. I went to the genuine suspension kit from 4wparts. I have the 6 shock kit and I love it. I get plenty of flex. The ride is a little rough, but I don't like my tires fully inflated unless I am hauling stuff. The springs work great for hauling too. I don't have a sway bar on my burb and I haul up to 6 cords of wood no problem with minimal squat and wander. She leans a little, but surprisingly not bad.

10. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

They may have come out with a new line, but the ones I got would be considered rough by military tank standards!

National Tire and Wheel-4" lift (ntwonline.com)
    Skyjacker with blocks-$354.00
    Suspension Connection-4" (www.suspensionconnection.com)
    Tuff Country-$249.00 800-505-5626
    Tyres International-4" (www.tyres1.com)
    Superlift-$299.00

Hope that helps!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I was going to go with blocks in the rear but if the flip gives a better ride I will have to look at that more. Is there a company that has just the flip kit?

Thanks, Kerwin

[/ QUOTE ]If you're at all concerned with ride quality, run as far and as fast as you can away from Rough Country. I really recomend Tuff Country or BDS springs in the front, and if your stock rear springs are in good shape, the the ORD Shackle flip in the rear. You can call the good people at ORD (970) 945-7777 and have them put together a complete lift kit with everything you'll need. Vist thier website to look at what they have to offer. Remember, cheap parts are cheep for a reson. In the long run you'll end up paying more when you replace those cheep parts with quality ones. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

i have some tuffcountry 4" up front and i bent them the fourth time out. and thet was just playing in the mud. i would consider it light wheeling. but ride was nice... still is just 2in shorter

13. Chase

Chase Registered Member

i love the shocks i got um on my suburban
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif