Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 JL Audio VS 4 Rockford Fosgate

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Rebel-Rider, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

i am going to be putting 4 tens in the jimmy soon and heres what i was thinking which do you think would have tighter bass and/or sound quality
    4 JL Audio 10WO's in a sealed box with a kicker 500watt by 2channel amp (125 watts a piece) /forums/images/icons/grin.gif <font color="red"> </font color>
    or
    4 Rockford Fosgate 10" HE's in a sealed box with a kicker 800watt by 2 channel amp (200 watts a piece) /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

any opinions greatly appreciated unless it has to do with treo engineering (then i dont want to hear it)

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

They are both basically the same sub... I have heard both and they sound the same to me....The W0 and the HE are both entry level subs in the line up... Cost is about the exact same... So basically it comes down to what you would prefer... I prefer the look of the jl personally over the fosgate... But something to remember.. the money that you spend on 4 10's.. you could pick up two of a higher line of 12's and probably out perform the 10's... As for which plays a tighter note... alot of it has to do with the box you put them in... for a tighter bass you will want to use a sealed enclosure... if you want a little more of a boom out of it go with a ported box...

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif LMAO!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Rebel-Rider

hey greg i know your a big fan of jl what do you think they would sound like in a sealed box with .75 cubic feet per sub

5. Greg72

Adam,

Have you checked out the JL Audio website lately? They have a good chart that shows the power handling of each speaker, and rates them up to a "redline" wattage value. It's pretty cool, and will give you and idea of how much power you can push into those 10W0's safely.

My educated guess is that if you are powering them with a "healthy" amount of power (according to that JL Audio power guide) and build a STRONG sealed box, they should sound great! If it were me, I'd probably build the box with 4 separate compartments of .75 cubes each so that none of the speakers share airspace. It will make it easy to troubleshoot if you ever have speaker problems since one speaker pounding won't make the others move too....

4 10's in a sealed box will be as much output as 2 10's in ported boxes (which is what I have). I've got MUCHO bass so I don't think you'll need to worry about that. By using 10's the bass should also be "fast" sounding too.

Keep in mind you'll need to worry about crossover points, midbasses, and stiffening caps, etc as part of the complete solution. You have to "sweat the details" like that if you want the best possible sound, but it does seem like you're on the right track so far.

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

So you don't want to know about hi-end subs ???? That you don't like quality ???? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

7. Rebel-Rider

high end subs my ass as far as i know only 1 dealer carries them they maybe a great sub but untill i hear them, see them at more dealers they could just as well be called legacy or pile /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

8. Rebel-Rider

for midbass i will have 4 of the new kicker 6x9 (k693) 2 in the doors up front and 2 in the back, i've already got a great headunit, i was planning on putting them in seperate chambers, if i put them in a sealed box i should have tighter bass than you just not as loud right /forums/images/icons/confused.gif
    IF YOU WERE GOING TO SPEND THE MONEY ALL OVER AGAIN
    what subs would you do and what size box (i can get the 10Wo's for $60 a piece) and last but not least do you know anybody who carrys the 10w6v2's yet they look like an awesome sub

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sorry you've never heard the Treo Engineer subwoofers, you are missing out. The Treo's are in the same class as the "DD" subs and the MMATS Jugernaut. Just becouse you've never heard of them doesn't mean they not high end !!!!! Infact, most people don't know about the high end equipment becouse they cost alittle more then most people are willing to pay. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

10. Rebel-Rider

somebodys a little testy i just dont want to hear anymore about treo ive heard enough already i think ill stick with namebrand products such as kicker, kenwood, jlaudio, etc... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's your money, buy what ya like. I personally prefer high end equipment. I never was one to get what everyone else has. I always felt quality was worth a few more dollors.

12. Greg72

What kind of amp are you going to use (how much power?) for those midbasses? I just want to make sure that you're not relying on the headunit amp to drive them....it won't be able to keep up with the output of the subs! /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

In terms of loudness....your four 10's in a sealed box will be just as loud as my 2 ported 10's. The only possible difference would be things like the XMAX spec (maximum excursion of voicecoil) and any differnces in power from the amps driving them....more power means more extension! Mine are being pushed with 200W each which is about the perfect amount based on the "redline table"...

If I could do it all again.....and this is being REALLY picky about the sound, I might do a couple of 12's instead of the 10's, or maybe 4 10's. Either way, I would put them in a sealed box. I'd like to get that extra low bass (below 30Hz) that I can't get now because of the tuning of my ported cabinets. Since I'd be losing out on the efficiency of the ported box, I'd need either larger speakers (the 12's) or simply MORE of the 10's.

Having said all that, a change like that means more amps (or larger ones!) and a completely new cabinet design that will be larger than what I have now. Sealed boxes are usualy larger than their ported counterparts....so there are going to be lots of compromises if I REALLY want those extra notes from 20 - 30Hz!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I'm also anxious to audition a set of the V2 subs.... I can only imagine what they are capable of!

13. Rebel-Rider

all of those (except for everyone else has it) are the reasons that i am not getting treo /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personally I think you're missing out by being so closed minded. Buy what you want, just don't put something down becouse you've never heard of it. I run Troe's and am very happy with them. I think they hit as hard as the MMATS Juggernauts. Street beats are street beats, as long as you're happy with what ya got, that's all that matters. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

high end subs my ass as far as i know only 1 dealer carries them they maybe a great sub
    but untill i hear them, see them at more dealers they could just as well be called legacy or
    pile ........................................................................................................................................................................................ So you're saying if you never heard the name brand Chevrolet, it's be the same as Yogo ???? /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

16. Rebel-Rider

thats exactly what im saying but chevrolet has proven its self time and time again and more than 1 dealer carries them

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Your not getting the point. So bluntly, Just becouse you've never heard of it doesn't mean it's not good.