Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" lift 52" up front... good idea????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fad2blk99, May 19, 2005.

1. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I want more flex, but I also wanna run 42s once the 38s wear out.... and six or seven inches + lots of flex does NOT equal enough clearance for 42s... even with all the fender trimming I have already done. I have the ORD 1" body lift already, and I'd rather not use anymore boby lift that that.

My solution: use my 52", 4" lift BDS rear springs up front (less overloads)...

Do you guys think this is doable...or even advisable????

Do any of ya'll know of someone who has used LIFTED 52" springs up front???

All comments and input are welcome.... :D

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

...I wanted to do the same thing, i wanted to run 42s also. i am interested in this swap too. has anyone done this swap?

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Several guys on here run non lift 52s in the front and 42s all it takes is a little sawzall action. Plus the 52s move the front axle forward which helps a little with firewall clearance when stuffed.

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

The 4" 52's up front w/ your 1" body lif would put you up around 9" of lift. What are you planning to use in back?

4" 56's w/ a 4" flip?

It sure seems like a lot of lift. But, I understand wanting to have room for flex, and only cutting so much sheetmetal. It's a tough call.. with the added arch in the springs you might not get as much flex as say a smaller 52" spring would give. So, the question is, will you need a 9" lift, or is there a happy medium to be found.

Widh I had the answer for you.

I plan to use lifted 52's up front, but I'm only looking for a 6" range on mine, so it will be 2" 52's. But, I'm only looking to run a 38" range tire.

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I'm doing a 52" swap with 2" lift springs for ~6" of lift as we speak... I'll have results as soon as I'm done :)

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm going to be running 4" lift 56" springs in the front. My stock 56" ones in the front don't give me enough up travel. It's like driving a leaf sprung Jeep. I'll probably pull a leaf out of them or something to try to only get 2" of lift.

8. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

TwistedJack has BDS 4" 52's (minus the overloads) up front. Ran them on his pickup first and just finished swapping them to a K5 project. They really aren't that tall with the weight of the drivetrain.

Here's the old beast from last spring....RIP

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  9. jmann

jmann Registered Member

I have a couple of questions

I was wondering with stock 52" springs up front will it give me enough lift to run 35" tires.

With the shackles in the back can I make my own since I work in a metal craft shop and I have tons of metal. and what thickness should it be.

How long does it take to do this little project.

Last question. Is it easy to do and does it cost alot of money.

10. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

This will answer most of your questions.

52" Swap Write-Up

I found the project not too difficult (mechanically speaking). Yes, it did cost me alot of money. When you factor in the necessary steering and driveshaft upgrades to match, it was very expensive.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yes.

not less than 3/8"... though if you want to go thicker there is no reason why not.

some people have done it in a day... took me longer cause i painted everything bling and had 2 wait for it to dry etc.

1. yes
    2. depends on what configuration you have now. The swap requires x-over steering etc.

if u havent done so already, check out my tech article...

http://coloradok5.com/52inchspringswap.shtml

j

12. jmann

jmann Registered Member

well how much lift will it actully give me up front. right now I have a 2.5 inch lift and everything is doing just fine. as in drivlines and steering. But how much will a pair of 52" springs cost me from a junk yard. And I have to do x-steering.

13. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the input. The reason I'm wanting to run the 4" 52s is cuz its what I have out back now (along w/ a shackle flip) and I'm not so sure I can keep 42" rubber away from the firewall and fenders (and maybe those 42s 'll become 44s ;) )

Oh, and... If you've seen my truck... you can see I'm not shy about cutting up the fenders. ;)

I think I'm gonna give it a try... if its too much or if the spring rate isn't quite right, I might step down to 2" 52s...

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

with stock springs, somewhere between 4 and 5 inches.

I'd try to find some from local CK5'ers... I got 2 sets for near-free. This is the kinda part you can get in a trade or for free so easily, that I wouldn't even bother going to a yard to buy some. AFA cost of the entire swap... if you have x-over already, and you get a set of 52s... all it should cost is the price of new bushings and hardware. Say... $75-ish.

j

15. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Don't forget driveshaft. You'll be moving your axle forward and flexin it alot more. At minumum, you'll need the tube lengthened and CV ground. Depending where you want your axle to be, you may need a set of zero-rates and possibly some shims. It all adds up $$$.