Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" Lift and brake lines

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by achuskies69, Mar 1, 2001.

1. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

4\" Lift and brake lines

<font color=green>ok, i ordered a 4" Rough Country lift and it says it comes with brake line bracket drops. I was wanting to know if anyone has done this and if they could give me some tech. help. Also what about the parking brake lines in the rear? do i have to extend them or what to do?

<font color=green> I love cowboy hats
    [​IMG]

2. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Re: 4\" Lift and brake lines

The brackets are cheesy. Don't reccomend using them. Buy aftermarket lines. Summit has ProComp lines for $90. My 88 Blazer used the EXP-7225 Part number. I like them. Put a tie wrap around the shock mount and the brake line to hold the line back from the wheel. Some gotchas: No parts break down. Believe the smallest bushings are for the rear upper shackles. I didn't replace them as the stock ones are hard to get out. Need a press or I've heard you can drill them out. Big shocks for the rear. Little shocks on the front. Put the rubber bushings into the shocks first. Then put the end on a piece of wood and pound in the bushing. If you make a mistake and need the bushing out use another bushing or a small socket to drive it out. On the front shocks the brackets on the axle may be compressed and may need to be spread apart. To get the steering arm off take the nuts off first then steer your wheel all the way to the right. Take a sledge hammer and beat the living hell out of the arm. Top and bottom. Don't be nice. You will need a pickle fork or some kind of puller to get the arm off the drag link(do this first). If the rubber grease boot looks kinda ok don't worry about replacing it unless you get one from GM. The ones from Napa are a joke, yours with a hole in it is almost as good. Just pump some more grease in it. I haven't pulled the pitman? yet, my steering is a little off, but drivable. Dropped the T-Case. Very easy. Get a floor jack from harbor freight $39 if you don't have one and at least two jack stands. Goto home depot and have them cut up two 2X8's into 1 foot sections. You'll probably need wood for blocking and whatnot. You should either have extra jack stands or block the frame. A jackstand could fail. One more thing be sure to remove your brake lines before you drop the axle. Lossen the breather hoses. Be safe. Feel free to email me any questions.

3. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

I had a well know shop install my 4 inch rough country lift, and they did not bother woith the brackets, however, i hve not had longer lines installed either, and my stock ones are plenty long enough. Except if you are going to be doing some real seriouse off roading the stock ones should work.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

4. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

Dont know if this applies but when I put a 4" skyjacker lift on my 75k5 I had to lower the parkbrake cable mount about 2 1/2". I also went with extended brake lines.

[​IMG]IF EVERYTHING WORKS IT AINT A REAL TRUCK[​IMG]
    [​IMG]