Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" lift and front driveshaft too short...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NITRO, Aug 11, 2002.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

4\" lift and front driveshaft too short...

im puttin on my 4" roughcountry lift on my 79 K5, and my front driveshaft is about 1" too short. how can i fix this??? is there a spacer or somethin?? if so how much? i also need the band things that hold the u-joint to the axle...where can i get these? and what u-joint do i need to go from my stock driveshaft to the 14bff?? thanx for n e info

NITRO

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Re: 4\" lift and front driveshaft too short...

Did you try pulling the d-shaft to extend the splined part? I just installed my 4" rough country and had no problems with the shaft.

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

BTW, Autozone or Advanced Auto sell the straps for the u-joint.

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Hmmm.....strange. When I installed the 4" Rough Country lift in my Suburban, the front shaft was fine but the rear was too short.

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i pulled it out as far as i could get it, but no splines were showing. should i just pull harder?? i pulled on my rear shaft and it came completely off, will this b a problem?? thanx

NITRO

6. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

And yet i have a 4" roughcountry too and i didnt have a problem with either. I was scared i would, everyones rig seems to be slightly different driveshafts. I dunno

7. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Your front driveshaft should be just fine on only a 4" lift. Unscrew the dust seal and see if you can totally separate the two pieces....it may be frozen in place.

If you DO need a spacer, I believe Superlift makes a 1" CV spacer. Get your ujoint parts (straps or ubolts) at any REAL part store. Usually a #447 joint is used for the 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton swap.

Hey, are you gonna make it to the Midwest K5 Summer Run @ Attica?

8. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

#447 is too big at both places so i guess it will b a #348 u-joint. when is that thing at atiica?? if i can get some money, ill go. i wanna try this thing out soon. i go there alot, but i cant wait to see what else i can do with my 4"lift thanx alot

NITRO

9. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

hey bigdaddy, this time i will b able to follow u through the culverts without n e damage /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif . this mutha is gonna sit higher than i thought with only a 4" lift. but, ill still have the same tires bfore unless the tire gods are nice and give me a good set for cheap. hopefully i can make it to the K5 thing. ill try pulling out the shaft a lil bit. thanx for the info.

NITRO

10. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

well, on my spare shaft, it has a thing that unscrews that lets u completely remove the front shorter part off the splines and seperates it from the main shaft. but, if my other one is like this one, then it wont fit w/o a spacer or somethin. so, can i just remove or loosed that part that holds it on as long as it wont slide completely off?? im only about 1" short. plz help ppl. thanx

NITRO