Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" Lift and Snow Plow

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JT Topless 75, Apr 10, 2003.

1. JT Topless 75

JT Topless 75 Registered Member

4\" Lift and Snow Plow

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

I have a 1975 Chevy Blazer 4x4. I have recently started to put some parts together to fix the truck up a little and get it ready to work next winter. I have a 4" Rough Country lift with front springs and rear blocks (will be changed out for springs as soon as I can afford to).I have some new 35x12.5x15 tires for it once the lift is installed.

I also just bought a used Meyers E-47 8' plow for the truck.

My question is, has anyone run a similar set up and if so, did you have to alter the snow plow mounting system to allow the blade to drop enough with the lift kit installed on the truck?

Thanks, in advance, for all the help and advice!

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: 4\" Lift and Snow Plow

Well, I answered the e-mail you sent me, but I'll answer here as well for the archives and so other people can know.

I have a 7' Western plow and the 4" Rough Country lift. After installing the lift, the plow operation angle increased noticeably. It is slanted forward more. I think this leads to the plow "tripping" more (blade flops onto snow and springs stretch). This summer I may install and extra spring or two on the plow blade. I could also drop down the part of the mounting system where the blade attaches - that would return it to proper geometry. BUT, my swaybar is in the way of the plow frame suppports, so I may have to ditch the swaybar.
    Anyway, no I didn't modify the mount even though it would probably be beneficial.

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

get a fab shop to make some lowerd mounting brackets...

we had an older plow that you attatch to the ram by a chain...and in this case you could get a longer chain

but thats one idea...the other is a snow shovel

4. JT Topless 75

Yeah but for $100/hr I better do better than just a SNOW SHOVEL! I grew up in Lakewood CO so I think I've paid my dues with the ole snow shovel and snow blower!

5. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

Any other problems noticable with plowing with a slightly lifted blazer? I have plowed but always with longer wheelbased heavier, stock hight truckes. But I am thinking of buying my own rig for this season. I really want another blazer so I figure it could be a good "buisness" investment. I would probably use it this year and probably retire it fairly shortly to turn into a toy, then buy another rig to just work. No money right now to do both /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Would a 4" lifted k5 with 35 ish tires work ok? I know there are people that put plows on dakotas so I know it can be done but I need something that will move some snow so I am profitable. 6" would probably be bad even with smaller tires and droping the plow mount I assume? Droping the plow mount that much would probably be a bad idea anyway right?

Sorry to Hijack the post but any info would be appreciated. I have never plowed with a short wheelbase or a lifted vehical or such a light vehical. Lightest I have plowed with is a f 350 with a contractors box on the back.

6. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

Oh.....and I dont know if it matters but I would idealy like to get a full convert top blazer /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, I've got a suburban, not a K5, so I've got wheelbase and weight working for me. It plows great...just as well or better than stock. I really like the wider tires. Some people say go with skinny for plowing, but in 4H while plowing a pile of snow up hill, I can gas it and the tires don't even usually break free. It sometimes amazes me how much traction I really have. My only complaint about the burb is that it's really difficult to see out the back (especially with the factory limo tint). I put some 55watt back-up lights out back and that helps at night, but I usually just drive backwards using the side-view mirrors and hope there's nothing directly behind me.

Oh, and about the lifted part...I went out and bought some new marker poles for my plow blade. The original ones with the little "Western" flags on them were too short. I couldn't see where the plow was when it was down. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. JT Topless 75

I'll let you know, my "new" plow truck is a 1975 Blazer with a 4" lift and 35" tires.....