Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" lift. do i need to lengthen the driveshaft?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mr_fujisawa, Jan 29, 2004.

1. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

4\" lift. do i need to lengthen the driveshaft?

i am going to being doing a 4" lift (hopefully sooner than later) and i am wondering if i need to lengthen either or both of my driveshafts? i am trying to have everything ready to go for when i start the job. it's usually inevitable but i want to keep the parts runs to a minimum.

thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    sean /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Re: 4\" lift. do i need to lengthen the driveshaft?

I had to lengthen my rear shaft but not my front. I don't know how much longer it is cuz on account the driveline guy did all the measurements himself and then scurried off and did it. Good luck to ya.

Allan

3. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

It just depends on the truck. Some guys have had to get them lengthened, and other don't. Your best bet is just to wait until you are done with the lift and see if you have any binding or vibrations from the driveshaft. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick

4. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

I had to stretch both front and rear in my 80 K5. Also had to do some "trimming on the front cv joint to get enough angle. Also put shims in the front. 2 degrees I think, but not sure.

5. t's85chevyk5

t's85chevyk5 Registered Member

I put a 4" on my 85 last feb. i didnt lengthen the drive shaft. what we did was flipped the spacers that bolt the transfer case cross member above the cross member to drop the tranfer case. this reduced the severity of e angle that the drive shafts would operate. some may say that it effects ground clearence, but your drive line will last longer and hold up to more abuse. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I just installed a 4" spring lift on my shortbed K10 and lowered the T-Case per the instructions and so far everything is holding together with no vibes. They also recommend grinding the stop on the CV joint to keep it clear. But anymore lift and they would be short. I was a little worried about the rear but so fars it seems to be doing fine. I'm not sure how much slip is left in it, but its not falling out or anything.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm running a 6" suspension and longer shackles with the shortest stock driveshaft Chevy ever installed with nothing more than come CV grinding for angle and no issues with breakage.

8. CTBlaz45

CTBlaz45 Registered Member

When I lifted my blazer 4" I did the transfer case lowering at first and it worked with some vibration. I later swithced to a longer CV type driveshaft and now it is very nice.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Did a 4" lift to my Burb and did nothing at all to the driveshafts or the T-case, /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif wheels and drives down the road just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif But then again, it is a Burb, /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif not sure about the MUCH shorter Blazers. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

T.J. 4xcrazy

10. hd-10

hd-10 1/2 ton status

hello i put a 4" lift on my 91 blazer and in stead of an extended drive shaft i used 1 1/4" spacers to lower the t/c and it brought back my drive shaft almost to standerd length. right now my truck is torn apart but by the weekend i should have it back to gather and i will send some pics. also if you don't wont to spend the money right now for extended brake lines you can just manufacture some plates to use you old lines. also i will send pic's for you. hope this helps.

11. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

yeah that totally helps. some pics would be very much appreciated. my friend grendel is helping me do my rear axle swap and lift and then he has an extended drive shaft for me if mine is too short. but it would be cool to see some ideas from how yours came out.

sean

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I have a spacer to put into the front, and I feel the rear needs to be longer. Trying to cure vibration issues.

'90 Suburban, 4" lift....

13. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I say probably not, especially w/ a slip yoke t-case. I've seen others say they had to lengthen their shafts, but I couldn't imagine more than an inch or two. I put 4" on the '86, and lowered the t-case using the 1" spacers. No vibes, no other probs. This is on a shackle flip lift in the rear, so perhaps an all spring lift may require it. Hope this helps.

John