Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" lift in front. How big in back?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Toad, Dec 31, 2000.

1. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

4\" lift in front. How big in back?

I installed my Tuff Country 4" lift on the front of my truck and the rear looked low. When measured, the rear bed is actually an inch higher than the front hood. Since putting in on about 2 months ago the rear has sagged about an inch. I just have the stock springs and lift blocks in the back. I've got a 76 pickup and the front wheel wells are higher than the back so it always looks like it sags. I want to get rid of that.

Question. Can I go with a 6" springs on the back? or would that be too high. If I go six, I could later put on 35's if I added ORD shackles to the front, but for now, I don't want to look like a stink bug with my rear stuck up in the air.

The reason I'm thinking springs is because I don't want to buy springs and a shackle flip. My wife is already ticked off at all the money I've spent. Will a 6" lift require a longer driveline and will I also have to lower my transmission. I know I'll need longer shocks, but I'm thinking about getting new ones any way, the procomp shocks seem stiff or maybe it is just my springs.

Please help with the pros and cons. Thanks.

2. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

Re: 4\" lift in front. How big in back?

Cannot help you with the lift or the wife problem. But I am sure we all want/ need to know how to deal with the never ending WIFE thing...So keep us up to date and if anyone else has ides, please spread the word....um nevermind......let us know..

rezalB

Built for a purpose.

3. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I am not sure if it works fine with the blocks but you could put in an add-a-leave. its gonna give you about 1 or 1½" of rear lift. It is going to stiffen the ride a bit. Do you have the hard top on? If you take it off the blazer might be level. A 6 inch rear lift could also work. You're going to have to lower the t-case for sure if you haven't done that yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

4. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of using 4" springs with the ORD add a leaf too. Does anyone know how high there 4/6 inch springs are once installed? Maybe measure from axle center to the top outside of the fenderwell.

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

My Blazer is lifted 2.75 inches in the front and 4 inches in the back. With the hardtop on its perfectly level. Try for around an inch extra in the back.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Well I have 2.5 inch Procomp springs in the front and for the rear I have 2 inch lift block and add-a-leafs. With all this done it sits a little higher in the rear, but it looks good.....

If it ain't a Chevy, don't raise it up!

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You might want to try the ORD add-a-leaf. It is made for this purpose and will level it out. It also won't affect the ride quality.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

8. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

First you need to figure out how much lift you need. With it on level ground put a floor jack under the rear axle and jack it up until the truck is level. (Make sure all the things you carry on a normal basis are in the truck and you have to do it under the axle to get an accurate measure due to the weight balance front to rear) Check your body seam on the truck the tailgate and hood are not even, but the seam keeps the same line all the way down the truck. When you get it level see how high your tires are off the ground and this will tell you how much more lift you need in the back. You never want to stack blocks though. You should probably look into ORD's 4" shackle flip. Or possibly some 6" springs depending on how much it is sagging. On my 6" all spring lift I had to take 2 leaves out of the front spring pack to get the Blazer to sit level and I ended up about 4" higher than stock.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

9. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

The sag in the back is the same as in the pick ups. It is more of a visual aspect than actual. I put a Superlift 4" in the aft section and a 4" ProComp in the nose. I had to lengthen the rear drive shaft 1 3/4" to get rid of a driveline vibration. Running a 350/TH350/dropped NP203 combo. I tried a 6" in the aft and it looked like a car that was jacked up. The wheels gave the appearance that they were smaller in the back than in the front. My .05.

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It's usually off by about an inch, but it looks like more. To cure my saggy butt (on the truck, not me [​IMG]) I was about to put in add-a-leafs, but when I really examined the truck, I realized that I didn't dare raise the back more than 3/4"-1" or it would be too much. My experience is that you need to compromise between the wheelwell openings being the same height above the ground and the body line (running all the way down each side) being level.

You really want to take a little time to look at it and adjust it before spending money or time on the wrong parts. As stated above, adjust the rear with a jack to determine how much lift will make it look right. You can do the measurements from the ground to the body line or from the spring pack to the frame or wherever you want to. The goal is just to find the difference that you need. It is easisest to jack the rear bumper or frame since that takes the loaded compression of the tires out of the picture. If you jack the axle, you will have to keep alternating side to side and then you have to be sure to be on a flat surface and then only measure to the body, since the jacking will affect the static height of your rear suspension.

Also remember that it is normal to have some lean in the truck, so take a lot of measurements if you can, so that you can determine if you have a body-to-frame lean or a weak spring or something. Otherwise your measurements may mislead you, as the left and right sides might not be the same.

A shackle flip in the rear will be cheaper than rear springs. There are many posts on the ORD kit and two different homemade shackle flips (cheap and almost free) that give a better ride than rear lift springs. If that doesn't give you the right height, you can get a 1" block for the back. (FYI: The ORD 1" add-a-leaf is actually a lift block, it just has the spring pack bolt going through it, so they call it a leaf).

"Big? No, these tires might be big for your Jeep, but they're just temporary for my K-5" [​IMG]

11. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all of the posts. I went out and measured by jacking up the rear axel, and it looks like I will need about 2.5 to 3 inches of additional height to make it sit right. My original springs are definately sagging. They are sitting on the overload spring.

I may be o.k with a 4 inch spring or a shackle flip and newer springs. If not, I can always add the ORD 1" block like mentioned.

Thanks again guys.