Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" Lift Kit Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rad Tad, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Rad Tad

Rad Tad Registered Member

After going cross-eyed searching the previous threads :crazy:, I've decided to make my own. I have just recently bought a Pro-Comp 4" lift kit with new front springs and rear blocks. I am wanting to know if there is anything that I need to watch for when installing the kit. I do have a fair ammount of mechanical knowledge. I've been in the Air National Guard :usaflag: for a few years and have almost gotten my A&P (airframe & powerplant) license. However, this is my first time installing a lift. Any tips/tricks would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
    -Mike

p.s. I guess it would help to know that the kit is for a stock 1990 k-5

2. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

for starters , make sure your wheels are straight before you dis connect the drag link , and do not move the wheels at all before you hook it back up to the drop arm.
    when you remove the old steering arm , it has cone washers , so beat down on it and the sides. this will help unseat the washers. do not beat up on it.

of course spray some wd or pb blaster on the bolts and nuts of the springs maybe the night before. they might be a pain to loosen.

make sure you have the blocks facing the right way.

thats all i can think of for now . others shall chime in here.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its a pretty straightforward remove and replace . I would forgo the drop brakeline brackets and get longer lines . I would forgo the blocks too for a shackle flip , but if its all you got OR all you can afford its ok for now :k5: :k5:

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Depending on the location of the truck, and how rusty the bolts are, Id suggest getting new shock bolts if your kit doesn't come with em. that way you can beat the old ones out, because they will be most likely rusted to the bushing!

5. grindkings

grindkings 1/2 ton status

Those bolts will probly be tight ass hell, mine where. When i went to remove the steering arm, i just removed the whole front axle to get a good KNOCK at it. As for the u-bolts its easyer just to get a cutting torch and cut them. I spent 2 days with a 3ft cheater bar and brake a 1in ratched.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

you'll want a sawzall or grinder to cut your spring bolts.

I suggest replacing your upper shackle bushings at this time as well.

7. RiceDaddy

RiceDaddy Registered Member

As was suggested, PB Blaster the night before and the morning of is reccommend. My shock bolts and u-bolts came right off. I was also able to pound out my spring-eye bolts with relatively little effort. Had to beat on the steering arm a little bit, nearly everyone does - Just don't hit the studs. Use pliers to retrieve the cone washers as soon as you see them.

Also be sure to lengthen your drag-link after the lift is on to re-center your steering. Re-torque every bolt, especially the u-bolts after driving a few hundred miles then again after a few thousand to be sure.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

lift info

the lift blocks go short side to the frt and tall side to the back. i have seen so many of them in wrong that i just want you to get it correct. and the upper shackel bushing need to be replaced. if so money wise offroad designs 4"flip kit for the rear it will ride 10 times better and will not need the blocks. and the flex is much more than stock ever could have dreamed of. dont forget the retighting of the hardwear like thay said.!!!!!:cool1:

9. gunner_vincent

gunner_vincent Registered Member

I am military (active duty) go to the on base hobby shop... the car lift there makes it pretty easy! mine is a 78 and i had to grind the 1/8 inch off the front driveshaft stop... i think it is actually called a forward blah blah... you will see in instruction manual! The rough country is pretty stiff, but i like it, and also the U bolts nuts they sent me were all correct except for ONE it was FINE thread, should have been course! but i agree with everyone elses comments! Let er rip tater chip! :saweet:

10. Rad Tad

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to try to do the install this weekend. Hopefully getting it done by Monday evening. I'll try to post some before/during/after pics. Wish me luck!

11. Rad Tad

It's done!

The beast lives! After torching, beating and cussing all weekend it is done! It was more of a pain than I care to tell about. The advice I got from here was very helpfull, along with the help line at Pro-Comp. Thanks again! :cool1: