Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" lift on a 1 ton

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Jun 3, 2005.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

So I have these 4" TC ez ride lift springs from the front of my jimmy (from before the 57's up front swap) and I have this stock 86 chevy 1 ton. So i decide to put my 4" leaf springs underneath the 1 ton. 2 hours later I set her down on the springs and I deffinately dont get 4" out of it. How much difference is the spring rate between 1 tons and 1/2 tons. I think I got 2 or 2.5 " out of it (it is a new lift) but it is hard to tell with no bed.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

When I was shopping for kits for my crew cab every brand I checked used the same part number front springs for 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton. Only the custom spring companies (Alcan, Deaver, etc) offer something different.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

what engine do you have in the 1-ton? bumper? winch? sounds like the front end of that rig is just heavier than the front end of your other one. I know on my rear 52s, when I used to have the top on, my shackle flip gaveme like 3" of lift... without the top on it was like 4.5". lol.

j

4. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I have no bumper or winch. I do have a 6.2 in it instead of the 350 in my jimmy. It may be 3" but it just doesnt look like it. Does anybody with a 4" lif have measurements from rither the ground to the frame or body or maybe how much fender gap between the top of the tire and bottom of fender.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

that is prolly the difference right there.

ez rides are pretty soft springs, adding weight to the front end is going to cause them to squat more than springs with a higher spring rate.

j

6. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Thats what I figured thank you sirs

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

with my blazer with 4" and 35s (actual size of tires is 34") my bumper height was 25" up front (bottom of bumper to flat ground)

hope that helps. i dunno if it does or not

8. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

It does thanks alot

9. rockspider

rockspider Registered Member

I have a similar problem waiting to happen, and hope you can help me.
    Sorry in advance for the long post!

My rig is an '85 M1028 CUCV, so something very similar to your '86 1ton.
    It's a 6.2 with Dana60 front, with the stock bumper and hooks.
    When I bought it the ride height was really saggy, but being on a tight budget and having some more important items to spend on to have the rig going, I went for a leafs rearching.
    I noticed that the front spring pack has three leafs compared to my friend Blazer, and when I rearched them it gained enough lift to clear 35"Bfg on 8.25 steelies, without any trimming. (only other mod I have built 1" longer shackles)
    And after one year of daily driving it hasn't sagged much. Wondering if the springs under there were stock or not...
    BUT the ride even on the most milder offroad trail is harsh, almost no artic.
    So I'm convincing myself that I need a real spring set.
    I would be happy with the lift it has now or just barely more, don't plan on using anything more than 37"x12.50 due to road laws here in Italy (Europe) but have no idea of how much lift do I have now. (and there aren't many of these trucks here to compare...)
    I don't want to buy, say, an EZ4" and find later that it lifts the rig less than it's now!
    How do I tell how lifted is it now?
    Can anybody take a measure of a 4" or 6" lifted diesel 1ton from under the frame to the top of the spring plate, in order to have no variables from different thickness springs or different height tires in the scenario?

Which spring will work well in a diesel 1ton for dd+offroad use?

10. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I am going to put a 3" 56 lift spring up front. This should give me 6" or I will put a 4" but I am not sure yet I want to see how much this 4 " is actually sagging

11. rockspider

SeventyK5 please can you take for me a measure from top of the milled spring perch to the bottom of "C" frame with those 4" lift springs front, just to make a comparison?
    Our 1 tons share the same powerplant so the weight up front should be equal.
    This would be very useful to select the necessary lift.

12. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I can do that

13. rockspider

Please, any news for that measure? I really need it!
    Thanks in advance

14. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Wasnt able to make it out to my truck and wont be able to until thurs or possibly fri.

15. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I went from the top of the ubolt plate to the frame and that is 7.5 from the raised center or 8" from the edge of the ubolt plate to the bottom of the frame. I then measured from the bottom of the front bumper to the ground and got 23.5" w/ 265's (31's?). This means that the lift doesnt sag at all being mudbuddy got 25"s with his blazer having 4" lift and 35's (which measure 34") MAybe it just looks wierd after thinking the custom suspension on the jimmy was 6"s. Oh well. time for 56's front and 63's rear. Thank you all

16. rockspider

Thanks for the numbers!
    I'll check them and compare with my truck.

I was thinking about your comparo with Muddybuddy numbers, but if he has a Blazer with 10bolts axles then it means your springs sag quite a lot! Given the difference in tube diameter between 10bolts and a Dana60, and the thick spring perches on the diff side, a 10 bolts with 34" has about the same height from the ground (at the top of the perches) as a stock Dana60 with 31,5" (235/85R16 were that high).
    This means that with the 6.2 the heavier front made the spring sag a full 1,5"!

17. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I figure between 1 to 1.5". But it is an 1000 lb motor as compared to 450 for a sbc.

18. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

hmmm wish I knew that.. I wouldnt have gotten my superlift soft rides... :crazy:

19. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

dont worry I have superlift softrides and would could drop a cummins in there and they wouldnt move

20. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

Front springs on my M1008 K30 with 6.2 are really bad now. Having a ramsey 15000 up front doesn't help much :D

I'm planning to go with either a TC Heavy duty or a Rancho.

Walter