Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" lift or 6"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Apr 28, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

4\" lift or 6\"

I am thinking of lifting my truck 4 or 6 inches. Waht will I need to do this I think I am going to go with blocks in the back. Will I need to replace the drive shafts if I go with a 4 inch lift Im not going to be able to take it offroad here much (damn treehuggers).

2. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

Re: 4\" lift or 6\"

go with 4 and a 2 inch body lift, thats a helluva lot cheaper than doin a 6 inch suspension lift.

3. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I went with a 4" lift thinking it would cost me less in the long run... but it hasn't. I ended up still having to have my driveshaft lengthened 2" because my angle was off. I had to shim my rear blocks and drop my t-case. If i had to do it over again I would have just went with a 6" lift off the top. I run 35's with my 4" lift. Only slight rubbing when I was on some rocks in Bassi.

4. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Depends on what tire size you are running. I just recently underwent this question myself, and I went with a 4 incher because I want a low CG and am/wanted to run 35's. On a K30 with the swaybar removed the TC HD's will let a 35 stuff all the way to the fender, and there is some rubbing just before a tire comes off the ground. Now I feel like I'm wasting the 1 ton gear with just 35's, and want to throw some 38's on...so I might end up with a 2inch body lift, some longer shackles, and a 2.5 rear shackle flip.

My point is that you need to decide what tire size you want to run (33's-36's are easily within the 4-6 lift range), and if there is any chance you'll want larger than that in the future, go with the six inch lift.

Also it depends on what type of wheelin' you do...

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a 4" and I wish I'd gone 6" every time I look at my truck.

6. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

the 6" give your much more options. If you want to go bigger, like it did, just add body lift. I'm at 6+3" lift and i've got plenty of room. If you buy the 6 you shouldnt ever have to need a bigger lift. Mine is all springs, it rides harder but you wont be throwing any blocks out where you shouldnt be.