Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" lift questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudman83, Mar 30, 2005.

1. mudman83

mudman83 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I want to give my blazer a 4 inch lift andI want to get a lot of flex for cheap. I will make a home made rear shackle flip and was wondering what vehicle to get 56" springs off of. I can get what some one says are 54" springs off a 78 3/4 ton chevy pickup and was wondering if i could take out a leaf and put those in front and get about a four inches lift in the front from that or if i should jsut put my 52" springs up front. I was also wondering if i would have to modify anything like the drive shafts or anything else.
    Thanks

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Get rear springs out of a 1/2 ton light duty suburban. They should be 56" long and flex pretty well. You will have to build a longer shackle to run these springs along with the shackle flip.

For the front I would run 4" lift springs. BDS springs flex pretty good and are available locally in Apache Junction. You could do a 52" front spring swap but it will make driving your truck onroad somewhat scary because of the body roll that they have.

Harley

3. Hossbaby50

Oh ya, if you swap in 52" springs up front you will have to deal with the issues it brings. The axle is moved forward which may make your driveshaft to short. Your stock steering probably won't be able to handle the amount of flex they will provide so you need crossover steering. You also need to relocate the shackles forward and build new shackle for the front suspension.

With either a lift spring or 52's up front you will need longer brake lines and shocks. Relocating the shocks with Ford Towers is the easy way to do it.

Harley

4. mudman83

mudman83 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If i leave my sway bar on with disconnects will it still have to much body sway to be driven on road.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

NO , it will drive like normal , just sit a little higher . Of course don't take corners like in a car though :grin:

6. Hossbaby50

If you swap in 52" springs in the front your front axle gets moved forward which means you can't use your swaybar anymore.

Harley