Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" lift questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Oct 3, 2003.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

4\" lift questions

Ok, I'm starting to save a bit of money every paycheck for a lift so I have a few questions of all the things I need.

I know I want/need:
    rear shackle flip
    front 4" springs
    raised steering arm
    brake line extension brackets/different lines

Do I need new shocks? If so, what length travel? Will I need new bushings etc? Shims for the rear axle to change pinion angle? Anything I'm missing? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif This is my first truck/first vehicle ever! I'm doing all the fixing myself and I've already rebuilt a motor for it. Just want some more height now.

2. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Re: 4\" lift questions

what kind of shackle flip and srpings are you getting? Yes you need new bushings and u-bolts. You want to get new shocks also. When you do the lift have someone to help you its easier lol. Put the lift on then check your drive shaft angle. you might or might not need shims. I hope that helped some. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif good luck

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I don't know what front springs I'm going to buy but I know I want the echobit shack flip kit. I will probably buy the springs that are fairly cheap since its mostly for looks (as much as I hate to admit if but there is very limited wheeling spots here so I don't need any huge amounts of flex). Where can I buy a raised steering arm suitable for my application? After the lift, I'll save for some 33-35 and a 14b FF and new gears for the front 10 bolt. I know 4.10 is about a good ratio for 35s but what is a good ratio for 33s? Also, my friend will always help me whenever he has some spare time. I enjoy working with a friend more anyways since it seems to pass the time quicker and make the frustrations less frustrating! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Goto that site I posted. The sell everything you will need and there springs are at a good price.
    well here you go.
    What you need for your lift. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know what front springs I'm going to buy but I know I want the echobit shack flip kit. I will probably buy the springs that are fairly cheap since its mostly for looks

[/ QUOTE ]

log onto JDsoffroad and get yourself a set of BDS 4" front springs. Great spring, not overly soft, and $90/ea.

[ QUOTE ]
    Where can I buy a raised steering arm suitable for my application?

[/ QUOTE ]

cheapest place would be the "wanted / for sale" forum here in CK5... people are upgrading to x-over all the time.. someone surely has a raised steering arm left over that they dont need and will sell cheap. If not there, JDs has them from BDS too...

[ QUOTE ]
    After the lift, I'll save for some 33-35 and a 14b FF and new gears for the front 10 bolt. I know 4.10 is about a good ratio for 35s but what is a good ratio for 33s?

[/ QUOTE ]

what tranny do you have? if you have OD, 4.10s are prolly fine for 33s. good idea on the ff144b swap, much better than a semi-floating rear 10b.

[ QUOTE ]
    I enjoy working with a friend more anyways since it seems to pass the time quicker and make the frustrations less frustrating! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i hear ya, I work on my rig alone 99% of the time... its great unless I get frustrated.. very relaxing when things are going well...

j

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well like Jek said go to JD's. I ordered my BDS 4" springs on monday and recieved them today. They told me next week was more likely so I was very happy. It was $180 shipped for 2 springs. They don't have bushings but you can get those from ORD or from JD's for like $20. I didn't get bushings because I am going to go with greasable suspension. As well I will have a 4" steering arm for sale on the site here in not too long. Like was said watch in the for sale forum here for that. I am going with crossover so I don't need it just have to get it the heck off the knuckle. Brake lines and shackle flip go to OffRoad Design.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

oh, missed a few questions...

AFA shimming goes, install the lift, measure the angles so you know exactly what you need and then get the appropriate degree shims. Most any local 4x4 shop will have em.

brake lines: I use the ProComp stainless kit that I got at 4wpw. DOT approved, not to spendy and they seem to be holding up really well.

bushings: ORD is the source, as sledog says. The guys over at ORD are good people and theyre the best source for greasable bushings for your suspension... which are good to have both on and offroad.

j

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I forgot to mention, BDS springs will flex real well and though you say your not worried about that, flex usually means a good ride and I'm sure you are worried about that.

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Ok, thanks for the info guys. Any more things I should know?

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, thanks for the info guys. Any more things I should know?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just finished my 4" lift....
    I torch is a great help. My steering arm refused to come off so I cut it off... Bad yes, it made the studs weak and I ended up breaking the front two before I ever got the arm back on. I spent a few days grinding and painting before I put the new springs on. All of the bolts I knew I was going to remove I sprayed daily for a week with wd-40 and pb blaster. The front was really easy, I got it changed out within 6 hours, all the rear bolts where seized so I torched those off. Between cutting, cleaning, grinding, painting and putting everything back on I have under 40hrs in the lift (of course its over a 2 week period and I still have to replace the studs for the steering arm). But it will likely take longer than you expect /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I figured a day off, a day cleanup and paint, a day on and a day to play...... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif NOPE /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I think most of my cutting will have to be done with the grinder but I guess if I get really frustrated, I can always rent one.