Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" lift rear drive shaft to long

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by proyouring71nova, Dec 15, 2003.

1. proyouring71nova

proyouring71nova Registered Member

4\" lift rear drive shaft to long

So I was all ready to bolt my rear drive shaft in yesterday and I didnt really think that the drive shaft would be to long if any thing I thought it would be to short. I did put the shackle flip on and repaced my eaton rear with a 14bff. I think that the 14ff 's yoke sticks out a lot more then the Eaton's, so i have to take it down and get 1" removed from the rear drive shaft and the front needs 1/2" add. Why cant these things just work the first time. Wells shes almost on the road All I have to do is the drive shafts, finish brake conversions, put the bed back on.

2. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Re: 4\" lift rear drive shaft to long

Depending on which shackle flip you put on, your axle will be set slightly forward from where it was in the stock location. Since you said 4" I'm guessing it is the ORD in which case I believe that you will lose about .5-1". And yes, you will lose even more with the 14bff swap.
    As for the front, you just did a regular lift, which doesn't change the axles position in relation to the truck too much, it just sets it further away which is why you need the front shaft lengthened.
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    And that is why, these things can never work the first time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

your right it is a little longer than the eaton. putting the eaton under mine now. did you like the eaton or just tiored of no parts and leaking?

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

When I did the ORD shackle flip on mine to replace a 4" lift block I ended up losing 3/4" of driveshaft stickout....this was on a 12-bolt, BTW.

I remember taking before and after pics of the driveshaft, which I'd marked 1" outside of the slipjoint (it was as if I already KNEW something was going to happen! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). Sure enough, the "after" pic showed barely a 1/4" from the slipjoint to that 1" mark.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. proyouring71nova

proyouring71nova Registered Member

Hay 69k5, I Loved the Eaton but it was a non locker so I bought a locker on e-bay and then I started looking around for a rebuild kit and then it hit me bam $500 just in parts to re-build. The 14 bolt is more avalible and I can get one of those really shinny alum. covers just kiding. I didnt mesure but I think that the Eaton also had more ground clearence? Dont know. Hay If you want a locker for yours I got one. Good luch with your eaton.

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I can get one of those really shinny alum.

[/ QUOTE ]

why go aluminum when you can go chrome or even clear plastic?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I thin that the eaton has a little more clearence but just b/c that point is not sticking down there. i would like to have a locker for mine. ill pm you later

69k5