Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" lift time

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MA87K5, Dec 20, 2002.

1. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

4\" lift time

I am finally able to put my lift in over the weekend. Good weather and all. Hopefully I will be done in a day. I have everything to do the job except extra hands and all the info from doing searches. I've done the rearend swap so the spring swap should be just as easy. Hope everything goes smooth.

2. Biguub91

Biguub91 Registered Member

Re: 4\" lift time

i thought it would take me a day and the front springs went in the first day a day later and with a lot of sore muscles from pounding the rear springs came off. The bolts were seized so bad in the bushings it literally took a day of pounding to get them out of course the torch was out of gas and was a sunday so it could have been quicker. But i hope yours is much smoother. But seeing my truck the extra 6" higher made it all worth it. I'm interested to hear how smoothly your springs come off.

3. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

I am currently lifting my 77 4 inches, and I hear you on those freakin bushing bolts! After soaking them with oil and beating the crap out of them with the biggest hammer I could I gave up and soaked them some more. Hopefully when I try again tomorrow it will be more willing. I thought about using the torch but with that rubber in there it is going to make it quite a chore, and a mess. I may use the sawzall to cut the bolts just inside the shackle and then everything should fall out with out using excessive heat on everything. We'll see /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

andy

4. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

good luck and definitely worth that sense of accomplishment when you step back and realize you did it yourself /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If it's a truck you drive, I would strongly recomend you spray some PB or similar product and drive it, spry it twice a day for a couple of days , then start trying, it might work for you and get it done in a day.
    It took me a week to get the springs out, 2 hours to put on the lift front and rear.
    Mine was parked in a field for 8 years so it was rusted bad.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i just used a cutting torch and plasma cutter. seemed to take care of it. the rubber bushings were froze to the metal on some of em. so i just melted those out. just take your time. it took me about 100 hrs to do the 4" all spring lift and 3/4 ton axle swap. actually that also includes putting in 2 different rear ends since one was locked up

NITRO

7. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

well I'm done except for the steering arm (very stuck), shocks, brake hoses, and torque up all the nuts and bolts. The bushing bolts weren't that bad. I had to cut the head off of one and really pound on two. The ones I thought would come off easy were the hard ones. I measured the space in the front between the tire and fender and got a 6.5" gain. I hope that rough country sent me the correct front springs. The truck does sit level though. But hey it looks nice. I'm thinking of using a chisel to get the steering off. Hope it works. Oh ya so far it took 8hrs.

8. Doug M

Doug M Registered Member

Parts stores will loan pitman arm pullers.

9. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

well, it is not the pitman arm, it is the steering arm, goes: steering box, pitman arm, drag link and then the steering arm, steering arm is attached to the axles with three nuts and split cone washers and is usually a real pain to get off /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif on a dana 44 or 10 bolt

to get it off some use heat or i have heard of one guy that loosens it then drives around the block to pop it loose /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

10. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Just pound on it with the Big Ol' Ford Wrench (big ball peen)

11. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

It took me alot of pounding just to get 2 of the cones out the last one I had to heat up then pound, came out much easier. The brake hoses were stubborn but I won. I had to reflare the rear. So far no leaks. I have to adjust the drag link tomorrow. The only prob I have is vibration after 30 mph. The x-fer case is lowered and the springs and angle shims are going the correct way. ??? Oh well I'll investigate it some more. It rides a little softer then before and I don't get the quick bouce back that I got before. I love the look. A friend of mine told me to get bigger tires. But I am getting new fenders and don't want to trim them like I had to for the 33's. I also don't need them. Well I took it on the road again and looked at the speedo to see when the vibs actually start and they start as soon as I start to move. Not good. Well I found out that I must have it aligned and maybe have the drive shaft lengthened. Oh what fun. I knew about the alignement though. Will take some time to get all done maybe. Will let everyone know if wanted.