Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" Lift tips and suggestions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scott73, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Scott73

Scott73 Registered Member

4\" Lift tips and suggestions

ordered a 4" lift this last weekend and I'm hoping to receive them by this weekend and get them installed. I ordered springs all the way around. I know the steering arm will probably be difficult to remove and I have already lubed it. I have also ordered extended brake lines and got a kit with a steering arm and shocks. will I need to lower the transfer case? Any problems I can anticipate or any tips on making the job go smoothly?

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Re: 4\" Lift tips and suggestions

I would lower the t-case any ways.. Spray all the bolts with lube,so it's easier to remove them.

3. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

check your frame at the steering box and t-case x-member, i lowered my x-member this weekend and a big chunk of my frame came down with it... got it welded and its fine now but just something to check... have fun with your new lift /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. Scott73

Scott73 Registered Member

When you lower the transfer case, will you have to adjust the linkage?

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I didnt on mine. Just use the GM provided spacers on top of the frame rail.

6. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

If you have some extra $$, the ORD greasable shackles i heard are great. I personally wouldn't lower the T-case unless your getting some vibration after the lift. I did lower mine and used the 1" spacers that were between the frame and mount. Did not need to adjust any linkage - usually only when you do a body lift. Make sure the drag link is at least level if not pitched down toward the back of the truck when your done or you'll get loads of bump steer. Assuming your be putting bigger tires on so...an ORD steering brace is a must in my book. (I sound like an ORD salesman! haha. but they do make good stuff) I picked some stuff off of an junked K5 before i did my D44/14ff conversion and this thing was trashed. When i looked closer, the frame was split in half right at the steering box. Wondered (figured) this is what caused this K5 to be in the junkyard. Assuming you'll be getting new ubolts with your springs, have something (air powered perferrably) to cut the old ubolts off with. Can wind up wasting lots of time trying to unbolt the old ones just to throw them out. Can't think of anything else but if i do, i'll post it. Good luck.

- Jersey

7. crithke

crithke Registered Member

is a steering arm neccessary for a 4" lift? i was under the impression that it wasn't, but i'm not really sure...

8. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

don't think it's "necessary" but i've always used one. The drag link would be on a pretty good pitch backward if you don't use one. Your drag link should have enough adjustment if you dont use one but you may have some funky bump (unload) steer.

- Jersey