Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" Lift - Tuff Country

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mch, Apr 21, 2003.

1. mch

mch Registered Member

4\" Lift - Tuff Country

RE: 88 K5
    Well I ordered a 4" lift from suspension connection a couple weeks ago. My friend who is very knowledgable about Blazers, helped me do it all. We finally get it all togethor and the back is all jacked up like a dragster and I couldn't make it out of the garage. I then think that block for the back looked awfully long for a 4" block. I measure it and it's a 5.5" block. I call the shop a day later to get the "correct" block. The guy tells me it's supposed to be a 5.5" block in the back for the 4" lift. He tells me if I put a 4" block, the back is going to sit low and they weren't going to pay for the shipping if I tried to return it. Nothing I said seemed to convince the guy that it would be anything but sitting low in the back and he knew because he had been doing it for 30 years. I also asked for new U bolts because the one's I now had would likely be too long for a smaller block. So I get the new blocks and U bolts. I drive across town to my friends. We take off the 5.5" block, and now realized they supplied me with the wrong type of U bolts. So we stick in the blocks, saw zaw the U bolts, and add a few washers. The K5 now sits about perfect, if not a 1/4 high in the back. My friend and I were just wondering if this company had been doing it wrong for 30 years, or all the K5's in Utah are riding ass high. If a vehicle is level before modifying it, and then you add a 4" lift in the front, and a 5.5" block in the back.... how the hell is it going to be level? It sure rides nice now.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: 4\" Lift - Tuff Country

Most K5's and Suburbans tend to drag arse. The rear end sits lower then the front after the rear springs have been in there for awhile. This is because the added weight for the hard top, carpet, and seat that pickups don't have. So most stock springs sag over time. That is why they supplied the taller block. Most springs tend to sag at least 1" over the years. So you really only get 4.5 or less inches of lift out of a 5.5" block.

3. mch

mch Registered Member

Well if it starts dragging over time, I'll just replace them with new 4" lift springs and ditch the blocks. My friend wanted the 5.5" because he had a 4" lift plus 2" from an ad-a-leaf. He figures he can just put the block in and get rid of the extra spring for better ride.

4. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I had to add the 1" to the back to get mine level when I installed the 4" lift.