Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" lift w/2" body, or 6" lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Phyte, Dec 4, 2000.

1. Phyte

Phyte 1/2 ton status

4\" lift w/2\" body, or 6\" lift?

What are the pros and cons of doing this. Also I will be going with 35"x12.5" tires, and 10" wheels.

2. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: 4\" lift w/2\" body, or 6\" lift?

I thinka 4 inch suspension lift and a 2 inch body lift is a good plan. I plan to do the same thing and run 38s.The 2 inch body lift should be ok on the trails and isn't too tall. I wouldn't lift the body more then 2 inches. The 4 inch suspension lift is relatively cheap and shouldn't require too many extra mods. If you plan on doing just rocks, then I'd say the 6 inch suspension only. You should be able to clear the 35s with 6 inches of lift with only a little fender trimming.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Dude.. Jason.. don't skimp on the lift.. put a 14 in suspension lift with 2 inch helper springs in the rear with 12 inch blocks. Then put like 15 shocks per wheel and then we can put hydrolics Front and rear so you can adjust the height.. Lowrider to Highrider.
    LOL LOL LOL.
    Just kidding if anyone thought I was serious.
    Oh crap.. I might have gave Jason an idea...
    If you lift your truck that high.. you won't be able to WAX it... [​IMG]

(updated) http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

4. 65FL

65FL Registered Member

Yea, but it would make washing and waxing the rocker panels easy. Wax the rocker panels?
    Would that make sliding off rocks easier?

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

My opinion would be just go with the 6" Suspension lift and axe the body lift idea. I was never fond of body lifts, except for maybe just a one inch lift like ORD.
    Get 6" front springs and for the rear go with a shackle flip and 2" - 2.5" rear softride/superride springs.

Just my .02 cents.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. Phyte

Phyte 1/2 ton status

Shackles would be cool if the blazer was a hard core crawler, but its not. It's my daily.. What about center of gravity.. Wouldn't it be lower on the 4"/2" because the frame is lower? I would just go with a 4" lift but I want to put some 35's on it.. I'm trying to stay away from cutting the body.

Phyte

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If it is going to be a daily driver than you can probably get away with a 4"suspension lift and 35's.. I ran a Superlift 4"HD front springs for a while and 3" block and add-a-leaf with 35x12.50x15 Kelly DTRs'. I wheeled alot and the tire hit the bottom back corners of the front fenders, but on the street I didn't hit at all.
    If you stay with a 12.50 width 35 on a 10" rim, then you should be good with them on the street with only a 4" lift.

A shackle flip is a cheaper alternative to rear springs and it keeps your stock soft ride since you will use your factory springs. It is not just for crawling, it is just an alternative for lifting the rear.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

8. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Seriously.. as a daily driver, you might just want to consider 4 inches with 33's. Then find another project/rock-crawler truck when you get your house.
    Think of wear and tear on your truck ...
    But.. Now I have the bug to lift my White blazer, just have to beef up the suspension first. I'm thiking Detroit lockers.
    Dammit.. we have to stop off-roading.. so I stop getting ideas.

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

2-1/2" SUSP lift and a sawzall!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

10. Phyte

Phyte 1/2 ton status

Umm really not wanting to mangle the body :) Why would 35's tear up the blazer more then 33's would? I could see it being a *little* tuffer on the axles/t-case but there wouldn't be that big of a difference.

Phyte

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A lot depends on your current gearing. 33's might be a little more friendly on the transmission as well (if you have a 700R4).

Rene

[​IMG]

12. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

Jason, Stop giving Rocko ideas....Your killing me here! Great now we wont be able to get either of them in the garage soon. Oh-well more room for my Jimmy!

http://www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com

13. Phyte

Phyte 1/2 ton status

Yes I do have a 700 but it still has 6 months worth of warranty on it [​IMG]. If I destroy it after the warranty runs out I'll just toss in a 400. My gears are the stock 3.08's, but soon they will be pushed by a 383, or a BB if I can find one.

Phyte

14. Phyte

Phyte 1/2 ton status

Rocko.. just think about those meaty 35's..
    35's, its whats for dinner.. haha.

You can't let little ol' me out do you, right? :)

Phyte

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah! c'mon rocko 37" Swampers with 6" of lift, 3/4 ton diffs, 4.88 gears and Detroits. Then bring it up to Canada and do some wheelin with me![​IMG][​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

16. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

Ok guys...If end up with another Blazer in my drive way and parts all over the place again, I will haunt you all down!We have one running and one that is almost ready to go, we don't need ANYMORE ideas til the other one is running. COMPRENDE? Phyte I know where you live! Be afraid, be very afraid!

http://www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com

17. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Better watch it there, Phyte! Did you see her driving on Sunday?!?! Whewwww, I thought she was gonna take us all out! LOL.......... j/k there cheri [​IMG]
    Seriously, I would go will all suspension lift. I personally don't like the way a body lift looks.

As far as center of gravity, what exactly are you planning on getting yourself into [​IMG] hehehe, I wouldn't worry too much about the center-of-gravity problem. You could always get the 1 1/2" wheel spacers if you wanted to --- that would lower Your center down a little.

I would go with the 4" shackle flip and 4" front lift springs and see if the 35's rub or not. They should definitely fit with a 4" lift, just have to test it on the trail to see if it rubs. If it does, you will have several options available to get it up a little more. If all you need is an inch, then ORD's 1" add a leaf would work great all the way around.

Just my 2 cents, whatever it's worth to ya .......

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com

18. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

19. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Amen ftn96
    And we don't know exactly where Jason lives there sweetheart!!! and are you going to "HAUNT" or "Hunt" Jason down. lol lol

20. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>If its a daily truck which sees mostly street, then a 4" lift and 35s would be fine. I would go with 4" TC or BDS springs in front and a shackle flip in rear with some RS9000s at all corners. This would ride nice and provide enough room for 35s. If you dont go on twisty trails, it wont hit. Even if it does, only minor trimming is necasary. My dad had 35x14.5x15 Mickey's on 15x10 rims with on his 81 K10 a 4" lift (now 6) and he only had to trim a little off the inner fender. You have to look hard to notice. You can always add a 1" ORD body lift if you dont want to trim the fenders.

Oh yeah, a hotter motor isnt a substitue for changing gears. I had 33s and 3.07s, and even with my fresh 355 w/ some work, it still sucked in traffic, passing on the highway meant 3rd gear (I have a 4 spd), and it sucked on the rocks. Now I have 3/4 ton axles with 4.10s and 36" TSLs which are 5" taller than my "33s" (which were actually 31", the TSLs measure 36.5") and its a world of diference! Even with the extra tire height it has plenty of power for passing and climbing. Paying someone to change gears is a lot cheaper than getting a new motor and you should do it anyway, your 700R4 will live longer since it wont have to work as hard</font color=blue>