Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" lift....well it was supposed to be, Its 7" ....Now im concerned.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eripley, Nov 3, 2003.

1. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

4\" lift....well it was supposed to be, Its 7\" ....Now im concerned.

I started my front lift today. I decided on BDS springs. I got the 4" bds springs. My stock front springs were exactly flat. I assume this is normal. I put in the new springs. My truck was 36" to the top of the fender well before. I have not bolted the ubolts on yet but the springs are sitting on the front drive shaft. I need to install the spacers so the driveshaft angle is good. I bought the 4% I believe they were called. I think I need the bigger 6%.

Here is where I am concerned. The 36" stock height is 43" now. Definately not a 4" lift. My front driveshaft is extended 3". How far can it go before it slips out and falls on the ground. I am scared to complete this project. I am going to drop the transfer case 1" tomorrow. Will my 4" shackle flip on the rear match up with the height on the front? Why is my truck 7" higher instead of 4". How much more front driveshaft do I have before it slips out? How big of a shim is typical for this mod?
    Please answer as soon as possible so I can sleep tonight? I think I killed my truck /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: 4\" lift....well it was supposed to be, Its 7\" ....Now im concerned.

Don't worry about it, put the 4" shackle flip in and you'll have a 4" lift. If thats what the springs are then thats what you have. Don't worry about how far off the ground you are, lifts are made for tire clearence. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif with a 4" lift kit you shouldn't have any driveline problems, I didn't with my 6" kit.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Same deal here! Got the BDS 4" kit. Started out with a 1" body lift and front springs in neg arch. After all was said and done it went from 36.5 to 43 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Even with the 4" rear springs and a zero rate in the rear it went from 36.5 to 42". I used the shims sent with the BDS lift (I think 3deg front and rear) and I dropped the T-case crossmember. MOST of the vibes are out, but the front shaft is almost fully extended. I'm planning on either pulling a leaf in the front or putting 2" 5deg blocks in the back. Making it a 7" lift total, plus my original 1" body lift and poly bushings (over 2" of body lift when both where installed) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    BUT! I think with a front drive shaft spacer and dropping the tranny crossmember most of the vibes will be gone. Later on downthe road I'll order a slip shaft (for my 208) CV rear driveline. DEFINATLY if its a driver put on the SwayBar Disconnects! I had the sway bar hooked up and drove around it was OK. Drove around without... NO WAY, installed the sway bar disconnects /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif MUCH BETTER!

DONT WORRY, Just Drive IT /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

here's mine

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the springs well settle, remain calm... this is supposed to be fun!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are you measuring with the weight of the truck on the wheels?

6. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the springs well settle, remain calm... this is supposed to be fun!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha....okay. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing but netted about 10" over my saggy stock....Yeah I was a bit concerned myself at first, now I wish i might have gone a bit higher

8. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Don't be concerned. I had the same fears when I installed my lift (Rough Country Springs Front & Rear) I also ended up with close to the same measurements as you have found! Keep in mind that over time the factory springs began to settle and the height of the vehicle just before you lifted it was probably not as tall as the stock height and the stock height is the base that BDS is going to use when they say, "4 inch lift"! You may not have noticed, but you see alot of blazers, trucks, etc that sitt lower in the back than in the front and this is usually because of blocks or shackle flips with stock (sagging) springs. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but this has been my experience. And last but not least, (sorry this is so long) I had both driveshafts strethced so that they would fit at there normal positions at the slides ($350.00) at a local machine shop. I also did not have to lower my T-case with a little shaving on the cv-joint on the front. 1980 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

First of all, the truck was sagging before the lift. Even if you couldnt tell, it was. As was said before, the 4" springs are without sagging. I put 4" front bds springs on my blazer about 3 weeks ago, and put a 1" zero rate under them, and used the echobit shackle flip (5 3/4 inches lift) in the rear, and it sits level. Over time though, the front springs will sag du to the weight of the engine. Dont worry about it, BDS wouldnt sell a 4" spring that is actually 7" tall. Just put it all together, and see how it looks. BTW, what shackle flip are you using. Echobit, or offroad design? The ORD only gives 4" lift, so you may need a zero rate in the rear. The echobit gives almost 6" so you may need a zero rate up front for that.
    -Harrison

10. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    First of all, the truck was sagging before the lift. Even if you couldnt tell, it was. As was said before, the 4" springs are without sagging. I put 4" front bds springs on my blazer about 3 weeks ago, and put a 1" zero rate under them, and used the echobit shackle flip (5 3/4 inches lift) in the rear, and it sits level. Over time though, the front springs will sag du to the weight of the engine. Dont worry about it, BDS wouldnt sell a 4" spring that is actually 7" tall. Just put it all together, and see how it looks. BTW, what shackle flip are you using. Echobit, or offroad design? The ORD only gives 4" lift, so you may need a zero rate in the rear. The echobit gives almost 6" so you may need a zero rate up front for that.
    -Harrison

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay this makes perfect sense. Even since I posted this the truck has dropped about an inch. All in all the front of my truck from the ground to bottom of fender well is 42.5 which is fine. I took some pictures and will post shortly to get opinions. I had one other question that is another slight concern. Rancho recommended rs90001 for the front. These shocks on this truck with this lift are about 1" from being fully extended with the truck sitting level. That seems short. Rancho confirmed that was the right shock and that my truck would settle another inch. Still 2" from being fully extended does not allow much if any wheel travel. The shocks for the rear are much longer.

I am doing right now (finishing it up) the homemade reverse shackle flip. The one where I cut a hole in the bottom of the mount and use the factory shackle. I bought 2-3" add a leafs to fix the saggy butt. If this add a leaf raises the truck 2" im level. If it raise it 3" Im higher in the back (which is fine by me...I actually prefer the dodge ram look). However is the add a leaf is not strong enough or it itself sags from the weight I will put a block on there. I will just be glad when the truck is raised and level. I am learning tons about how suspension works. I cant believe I have gotten this far. Thanks to everyone on this board. No flames just helpfulness. Love ya all!

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

along me saying it's "normal". something that gets over looked and can cause "extra lift" is when the spring eye bolts get torqued, YOU MUST HAVE THE VEHICLE WEIGHT ON THEM. this goes for ALL suspension compontants where there are bushings. If you tighten bolts with no weight, the bushing has to abnormally twist to get to the "rest" position. In some cases the bushing will bind and NOT allow the spring to relax. Or cause premature bushing failure.

12. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    along me saying it's "normal". something that gets over looked and can cause "extra lift" is when the spring eye bolts get torqued, YOU MUST HAVE THE VEHICLE WEIGHT ON THEM. this goes for ALL suspension compontants where there are bushings. If you tighten bolts with no weight, the bushing has to abnormally twist to get to the "rest" position. In some cases the bushing will bind and NOT allow the spring to relax. Or cause premature bushing failure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Werde /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep I knew that. Its settled down to a little over 4" in the front now. The springs still had a killer arch in them now they are more flat. I think I paniced because I didnt realize it just needed to settle.