Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by corona1k5, Mar 10, 2001.

1. corona1k5

corona1k5 Registered Member

4\" lift

anyone have a 4" lift and 35"-12.50 BFG muds? or any 35-12.50 muds for that matter. Do you have to cut fenders? Is there a 5" or 5.5" lift kit that has an option of coming with rear springs.

thanx

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Re: 4\" lift

Yep lots of people on this board do. You will have to cut your fenders with this setup. How much depends on the brand of tires, brand of lift, rim width, what type of wheeling you do, which axles you run, hard or soft top, how much crap you carry around, and I think the phases of the moon.
    I used 4" springs all around and added a 1.5" block to the back. Then, I went to the back fender & took a Cresent wrench and kept folding the fender lip back on it's self untill I got back to the support rod. In the front I just cut what looked like the right amount off the back side. For the front side I made a horizontal cut at the mid point of the bumper. It rubbed a little the first time out, but I fixed that with the good ol' BFH.
    I am also going to add 1" longer shackels. This will give me 4.5"F & 5.5"R for lift. If you use one ton axles that will give you another inch of lift. The bottom line is, if you flex it out 35s will rub on a 6" lift if you don't do a little trimming. On the other hand you can fit 38s with a 4" lift if you don't mind doing some serious triming. If you want I can take some close up pics of my trim job.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>

3. corona1k5

corona1k5 Registered Member

Thanx a lot! I dont want to make you take pictures of your truck though. your explanation helped just fine.
    thanx again.

4. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

I would LOVE to see some photos of your bodywork, I am wanting / needing to do some of this type of art in the near future...Thanks for your time...you can send private email to happy2sell@aol.com if you need to.
    rezalB

Built for a purpose.

5. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

Not everybody had to cut to put 35 x 12.5 on. I put on my 4" lift and haven't had a problem yet. Of course I haven't flexed my suspension very much yet. After a 2 year rebuild, it won't see a lot a MAJOR 4 wheeling until the novelty wears off. So for right now I don't have problems at all.

85 Blazer on an 82 chassis, 6.2L Diesel, ORD flip, 35's with no cutting on a 4" lift.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I ran a 4" lift on a 75 K5 with 35" BFG MTs and twisted the @#$% out of it. Hehe, when I sold it, it dog tracked so bad that on a narrow road I would have the left front tire on the center line and the right rear on the outside line. :) (Yes, a small exaggeration but not much)

But, I digress, the point is that even with the abuse this Blazer suffered, I had to do some minor trimming on the fenders but no major surgery.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

OK I just took some quick shots. Click on the link to my page & go to yard pics, then scroll down.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>