Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Guss, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Guss

Guss Registered Member

kind of new and want put a 4" lift under my stock 90 blazer but have a very limited budget what is the best way to go

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

what's your budget?? the more we know, the more we can help...

Lots of companies make lift kits or blocks or springs to bring your ride height up a bit, but unless we know what you are willing to spend, and what type of driving you are going to do, we can't tell you much of anything.

If you plan to go wheeling like most of us here, then a different setup will be suggested... if you just want a big truck and do all street driving, then we'll suggest something completely different.

Best thing I can suggest right now is a 4" shackle flip in the back and 56" (I think) rear springs in front... that will give you more flex all around and give you 4" of lift all around.

3. Guss

Guss Registered Member

dont want to go too tall because most of my local trails i bearly make it through stock but on the other hand i have to deal with alot of sand and tree stumps so i need a little taller its a hike to any real rocks so probably wont do much of that i do like mud. maybe $500 fot lift alone

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  4. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Well... for $500.00, i can suggest doing the shackle flip for sure., and you'll have enough money left over (even after paying someone else to do it if you can't weld) to buy a set of used 56" springs... should be about $100.00 for the shackle kit (unless you use the front shackle from another blazer like someone else did here) plus about $25-50 for the welding depending on how well you know the guy, and then should be about $100-300 for the spring packs... I don't know since I haven't done it yet. That is however my next project after my full tub swap.

Mind you, there is a bolt on shackle flip with class 8 bolts available if you have a drill and a good eye... but I'd leave it up to the rest of the guys here who have done it to suggest what you should do.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd say either BDS or Tuff Country 4" springs up front and a 4" Shackle Flip in the rear providing your stock rear springs are in good shape.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

8. Guss

Guss Registered Member

thanks guys

9. browningejm

browningejm Registered Member

I just bought a rough country 4" for $382 to the door for my 90 k5. It includes 4 shocks and steering arm.I think that is a great deal.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Price is good, but that vast majority don't like the lumber-wagon ride they get from Rough Country.

11. browningejm

browningejm Registered Member

so I've heard, however I have a heavy bumper w/ warn 8274 winch. besides that it is a truck. ERIK

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That may make a difference.

13. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'd search through the for sale forums here or a local board and look for used 4" lift springs for the front and 4" blocks for the rear. For what it sounds like you do, blocks will be okay. That'd be your cheapest bet. I think you could manage that for around $200 or less.

You can get Explorer ProComp shocks from Summit for about $35ea.

Then plan on later, as you have more money available, to get 4" springs in the rear or a shackle flip. Also the raised steering arm could wait until later. It is nice to have but not mandatory.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  14. Jew Pimpin

Jew Pimpin Registered Member

I have had the 4" rough country for about a year and a half. For the money it's great, it flexes very well and with minor fender triming I got 35" bfg mud terrains on purfectly. It is a rather rough ride, but my seats are shot as well, oh yea and it's an old ass big truck.