Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kman, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Kman

Kman Registered Member

4\" lift

O.K. i have read the post and have done a search.
    I am about to do a 4" lift and put 33's on. I have a 350 TBI, 3.73 gears, T700R4 and a NP241 Xcase, o.k. a wimpy 10 bolt. How much different will it handel? Will i have any problems with this? It will just be light trail more exploreing nothing big yet.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: 4\" lift

Your 10 bolts will handle light trail work just fine. Mine has been a hunting rig for years, threw all kinds of terrain. It has lasted just fine. I have 300HP crate, 3.73's, th700r4, 208, wimpy 10 bolts, and 32's. The only part of the 10 rear bolt that didn't last me was the gov lock. The rear now has an Auburn L/S, and I did upgrade the factory hubs to Warn Premiums W/hub fuse. Beyond that my axles are stock.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Your planned setup sounds good...The only issue may be the gears...You will probably notice that you truck is more lethargic and isn't as "punchy" with the bigger tires and the same gears. Its not bad though. I have new 35"x12.50" ProComp Xterrains with a 4" lift and 3.73 gears...I am putting a 6" lift on this weekend. But my truck is an absolute DOG when it comes to acceleration and performance. It barely wants to stay in OD on the interstate...Eventually I will do 4.56 gears but i am just living with the 3.73's for now...Also your speedo may be a little off after the lift but probably not by much...As far as actual handling characteristics...Its hard to say..It all depend on the lift kit (spring rates make a big difference here), shocks, wether you are using springs or blocks to lift the rear, and so forth... Chances are the front will be little stiffer than stock as a result of the increase spring arch and it will roll a tiny bit more in the turns due to higher center of gravity... But the 4" lift and 33's will make a hell of a light trail ring that will hold its own on the pavement pounding end [​IMG]

GOOD LUCK

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

4. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Truthfully, I feel that my truck handles beter after the 4 inch lift and 33s than it did before... Remember that while you are going higher, you are also going wider. from say a 9 inch wide tire to a 12.5 inch wide tire. Plus you are installing newer stiffer springs, and new shocks... I had 3.42s with 33s and it wasnt great bu it was aceptable, 3.73s shouldnt be too bad at all. But in the future you may want to go with 4.10s or 4.56s. I just had 4.56s installed and am verry pleased for the most part, however, its a little much, I think it will be perfect when i buy 35s next year... As far as the axles, you and I are in the same boat, If I could, I would love to have a 14 ff and sa D60, but I cant afford it. However, for the amount of offraoding my trck sees, 10 bolts are plenty. As mentioned above, you may have trouble with they gov-lock if you have one. I recently upgraded to an Eaton Posi. However, you dont need to do that untill you start to sence the problem coming, it warns ou with poping and clicking noises from time to time. You could change the Carrier when and /or if you ever change the gears, it saves you money to do it al at once...
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The 33s should go very well with your 3.73 Gr. I have a 89 with 3.73 ratio also and run 33" MTs. They run just fine down the road and handle good. I also have a set of 31" AT tires I run in the summer when I do a lot of towing. I really dont notice much difference between the 2 tire sizes. It will shift out of OD sooner when I hit a hill and may be a hair slower off the line. But not enough that it matters. When going from 31x 10.50 to 33" tires a 3.73:1 gear ratio is reduced to 3.50:1 gear ratio. That is still plenty low and you will still keep good fuel milage.
    I do however perfer the 31s for towing in the heat of the summer. I like to give the 700r4 all the help I can.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

6. meatloafK5

meatloafK5 Registered Member

I am planning to do something similar. I even had the wife convinced that we NEED the 330hp Crate motor. I also want the 4" lift(probably Skyjacker) Now I just need to find rear 4" springs! I have not decided on the gears yet, Which bring me to another question....are the stock 84' gears ok for 33's?

"stupid people are simply alive because it's illegal to kill them..."

84 K5 Blazer 305(for now) many mods coming....including a 350