Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

4\" Lift

A few questions here guys. I have a 90 Jimmy that looks real good but I want it to be a a bit bigger. All the guys and friends at work say I shouldnt do a lift because it will make the truck unfun and miserable to drive. I mean this truck sees more asphalt than mud so it needs to be "drivable." With a 4" will I have to worry about the driveline much or will it be a "worry free" lift with no extra stuff needing to be done like lowering the xcase. As far as a all spring lift who makes the best one? Sorry for the essay here guys but I wanted to hear from guys that drive these everyday like me and not just a general person.

TIA Chris /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

Re: 4\" Lift

4in lift with 33s is VERY road friendly i think.
    you will nned to lower the t-case, but its the EASIEST thing ever. just drop it with the stock spacers
    w/ a 4inch lift you will need a new sttering arm [included normally] and most the times new brake lines are needed. but all that is done w/ a 4in lift is really easy.

3. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i put a ROUGH COUNTRY all spring 4" lift in my 89. and i would do it again in a heart beat. i had to lower the t case, but its really no big deal. the break lines had to be moved, once again no big deal. when i did my lift i was worried about the road manners because mine is also a daily driver. i left the sway bar off and tried it out(like the folks on here suggested), and it has excelent road manners. i run a 35" tire on a 10 inch wheel and it does rub under full flex. after i did the lift, teh only thing that wasnt worry free was the t case, i fabricated a lowering block set in about 5 mins, and it took less time to put it in. i say go for it and love it. what do the guys you work with drive, hondas? good luck, and check out my pics if you want to see how it sits.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I put a 4" and 35s, used blocks in the back just to keep the costs down the first go around. I haven't had too many issues. Upgraded my u-joint, added some shims to correct the pumpkin angle a bit. I dropped the transmission to correct some wobble I was having in the driveline. I also replaced the stock steering shock with a dual set up. I drive it to work everyday! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. daleearnhardt01

Well ya see I work at a shop and my boss says I really shouldnt do it and some of the other guys that are in their 20's that used to work there say when they put lifts on their Chevy P/Us and Blazers that they drove like junk. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. milspecjimmy

if it is any consolation, i drive mine from the hills of raymond, where i live, to the turnpike, and down to portland every day. i can move in and out of traffic no problem and it handels very well.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I have a good ride out of my 4" lift. I think it handles better than stock. Supposedly Tuff Country EZ rides ride like a Caddy. I've got Superlift and shackle flip, extended brake lines, lowered t-case. Well worth it.

John

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

How long ago did they do it? Suspension and shock technology has come a LONG way in the last 10 years...most of the time lifted trucks with quality aftermarket springs and shocks ride BETTER than stock trucks. They may have done it back when the only big tires were bias, and the only lifts were square cut springs and stiff-azz Rancho shocks. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would bet your boss and co-workers use the cheaper lifts, and that's why they didn't like the way it rode. Sence you're only going 4", and want a nice ride, I would recomened the ORD 4" shackle flip in the rear, and BDS springs in the front. Use a good quality set of shocks, the raised steering arm, and braided steel extended break lines. Now you might also want to add the ORD 1" body lift with new poly mounts and maybe ORD Zero Rates. to get it up just alittle higher. You should be able to run 35" tires then. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Remember, if you put larger tires on, you'll also need to regear it or you'll kill your automadic transmission, and it'll be a pooch. I'm swaping in 3/4 ton axles becouse they already have the gears closer to what I want, and the bigger breaks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Your front driveshaft may be too short...mine actually lifted about 5", so my front shaft is about a 1/2 inch too short.
    I personally REALLY like my Skyjacker lift...this thing flexes like a madman with the sway bar off...with the bar on, it still corners like a car.
    One suggestion, if you use the skyjacker kit, buy the F250 shock tower and the longer shocks because you're gonna need it...it easily bottoms out the shocks I got with the kit.
    Kit comes with spring, poly bushings, bushing sleeves, U-bolts with nylon locking bolts, cut (angled) blocks for the rear. Get that with the steering arm and Pro Comp brake lines...total was about $510 shipped to my door from 4WPW website. 4WPW also includes shocks for you with the kit.
    I wouldn't spend all that cash for the all spring kit..if it's mostly on the road, blocks will do you just fine. Rough country is a good, inexpensive kit, but I wouldn't suggest it for everyday driver...your friends will ride in it and tell you, "I told you it'll ride rough!"
    For mostly on road, go Skyjacker, BDS, or Tuff country.
    Sorry for the long post /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. daleearnhardt01

After doin a bit of research on here I see that Tuff Country is the best ride. Where should I get the kit and what all would I need besides the stuff in the kit (would you use the shocks in the kit or get some better ones) etc etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Get your springs here.

You should be able to hook up with the rest of the kit there as well. Mr. Watson will treat you right. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Should be able to find the rest of your stuff somewhere here.

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

there just jealous.. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. LaxRox5

LaxRox5 Registered Member

while on this topic i thought i would ask about a lift and dropping the transfer case. How much work goes into dropping the transfer case? Also what do you use to do it? While on the topic of lift i was wondering what would be my best bet for a 1991 suburban i have about ~$375ish to spend on a lift. I am not lookin to wheel only lookin to run 33s. Sorry for the long write up

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well on a budget...your going to want to go like i did..rough country!! great lift for the money! for me..with the rear blocks setup..shipped to my door is only 348!! www.roughcountry.com

the t-case..you take the stock spacers that are above the cross member i think..and drop them in between the t-case and the member. tools..i dont know of the top of my head...havnt done it befor...only put one in...

16. milspecjimmy

floor jack, one box end wrench and a ratchet and one socket, takes like 4 mins to do even if the bolts are rusty.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

17. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

Why not lift it 2.5" and run your 33's? You won't have do anything to the sway bar, tranny, t-case or brakes. Just bolt it on and go. You may be able to run 35's on an 8" rim with the 2.5" lift.

18. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

What kind of budget do you have? If I were you, with a pretty liberal budget, I would get Tuff Country springs, blocks for the rear, and a good, quality shock (Bilstien and Rancho adjustables come to mind). A lot of people run Rough Country stuff, but it has been my experience they call it ROUGH country for a reason. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

19. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I run 33's with a 1" body lift on 8" wheels...but don't go any higher with the body lift, thats only asking for problems. When you put on the body lift you replace the body mounts with poly ones and that will give you a little more. I figured I'd wait a year for the 4" since the older trucks need body mounts anyways and mines mostly all daily driver:)

20. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

Ok, I hate to drag this thread out much longer, but for those of you out there who run 4" lifts and stock drivelines, what tranny/TC adapter/TC do you have (or basically, how long is your front driveline), and how hard do you wheel your truck?

I'm putting 4" on a long bed with a 465/205 with the huge 8" adapter and I am wondering if I need to get a new driveline right away. I assume the rear should be just fine, even with the slip yoke, but correct me if I'm wrong!

Andy