Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 link calculator, quick question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Dec 19, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Roll oversteer is expressed in what? It just has numbers, no statement of increments or what it is measured in. Inches? Degrees? If inches, over how much of suspension travel? My design seems to have come out at about 3.75, trying to grasp what that means. A/S is far better then I expected, 129%, some reason I was expecting it below 100.

sigh... degrees... retarded, I swear....

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hehe, yeah, degrees.

And for AS, lower (to a point) is generally considered better.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

It seems so debated I'm just going to run the setup as I have it now and see for myself how I like it. I don't care for the idea of squatting under throttle, but who knows, maybe it will lift too much. As noted in a post I was reading recently on Pirate, seems there is a good split of low vs high.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I need to remeasure things and sit there with a freaking laptop running these numbers haha. Every time I plug stuff into the calculator I get different numbers.

Redoing it with the measurements I took today, I have:

A/S - 129.58%
    Roll Oversteer - 2.5525*

5. BadDog

Yeah, the exact number is very debated, but generally, low 100s seems to be pretty much accepted by most. 129 is fine in my mind anyway.

Mine is adjustable from around 105% up to 170% or so, with trade offs in other areas that make the extremes unattractive for other reasons. My prefered (default) config gives me around 115% AS (depending on loading (2 seats, 4 seats, gears, gas, etc.) and how close my estimates are) with 0* roll steer and a 31" roll center. Pretty close to exactly what I wanted.

Another thing to think about is that when you climb, your AS goes through the roof (pretty much) regardless of what you do. So you'll need limit straps that let you articulate while preventing jacking while climbing, which can put you on your lid very quickly and dramatically if not controlled. To me, that means having a winch or third strap or something in the center...

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

planned on a preloading winch previouslly, good to know. Whenever I get the money and time.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You'd be doing yourself a favor if you designed at least one side with a few sets of mounting holes for the link end. I have had good luck messing with the lower links where they attach at the frame end. With some careful planning I was able to come up with setups that can do anything between 30% to around 120% AS.... just by changing the position of that one link point.

It's a lot faster to design it with some adjustability NOW, then to completely re-do it later if you don't like the one setup you've designed for.

Pleh, what the hell do I know? :rolleyes:

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

X2

Also adding more anti-squat will be easier than taking it out.

9. BadDog

Agreed on both points. Mine has 2 points of adjustment on the frame side and top of the axle, and 3 on the lower axle mounts. The only way to get more adjustments that I thought might be useful would be to go down another hole on the frame side. But those holes would make for adjustments that I thought unlikely to be used AND become the lowest point on the chassis. Adjustment is particularly important since very few of us actually *know* where the CoG is, particularly for varying load outs, so you need some way to adapt if your off too far...