Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 link & custom Suspension information resources

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by headcrash0101, Nov 26, 2003.

1. headcrash0101

headcrash0101 Registered Member

Do you know of any good resources (websites, books, computer progs, etc.......) for custom suspensions. What program is used to figure the link mesurments for a 4 link suspension.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: 4 link & custom Suspensions

Look at some of the other posts in this forum...I posted up a program I made about a month ago. Personally I use SolidWorks to model everything I build. I have done a full suspension for a autocross car on there and it turned out well. It is easy to use (for me) and you can move everything around to find any interferance before you build anything. As for other "programs" Paul Van Valkenburgh has a nice "string computer" method in the back of his book. This is a good way to get a "feal" for what all this stuff means.

As far as books if you want something with a bunch of equations (and derivations of all of them) Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by Miliken & Miliken is a good one...It is bigger than a Bible! If you are looking for some good common sence info, rules of thumb, and design hints Tune to Win and Engineer to Win by Carroll Smith (R.I.P.) are great to start with and should be required reading before you are allowed to drive anything you built. Carroll is easy to read and if you have the cash you should buy the whole series.

If you want to get a bunch of info along with even more B.S. than go over to Pirate4x4.com and look up the "God of Suspension" thread.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

A couple of things.

For one, I changed the subject to be more descriptive of what this post is about. No big deal, just a pet peeve, but I want make sure those browsing this forum can find what they need, and aren’t mislead or confused by the subjects.

Turns out there is a thread on suspension books right now on PBB. Rather than try to summarize it, I’ll just link it.
    Suspension books.

And finally, I'm leaving this here as a place to (hopefully) compile general suspension resources on the web and otherwise.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: 4 link & custom Suspensions

[ QUOTE ]
    As for other "programs" Paul Van Valkenburgh has a nice "string computer" method in the back of his book. This is a good way to get a "feal" for what all this stuff means.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like I was wrong here...the string computer is in Allan Staniforth's book "Competition Car Suspension"