Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4-Link Front & Rear Fabrication

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Jan 4, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've been tossing this idea around for a while now and worked out the feasability and geometry. I'm thinking of a few different possibilities to "test" on my k5's rear end when I do the rear end swap. I was hoping to aproach this whole project from a bolt on solution so anyone with a k5 could bolt up this kit and tune it to their needed lift and flex (given driveshaft limitations). I may be abandoning this temporarily while a prototype a few different ideas.

Do we have anyone among us running a 4-link on their fullsize? I'd like to get some feedback from them.

Additionally, I spotted a suzuki samurai with an interesting 4-link aproach. In an effort to save space they eliminated the coil spring by cutting a leaf pack in half, flipped it upside down, mounted the eyelet to the top of the axle at the perch, welded a plate to the cut end and bolted this to the chasis. There was an additional flat bump stop installed about mid assembly and two semi diagonal rods mounted from the frame to the bottom of the axle with 3/4" spherical ends. I thought it was rathher ingenious to incorporate a half leaf pack as 2 of the 4-link rods while maintaining them as springs as well. the flex was tremendous and the diagonal remaining 2 link rods were both track locators and maintained axle geometry under movement. I'd like to attempt something like this but I'm not sure I can maintain the same amount of flex with such a heavy vehicle. Any ideas?

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://24.55.50.76:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

well. if you keep coming up with these ideas, we're never gonna see that thing on the trails, but seriously, you could do a 4 link or a 3 link with a big wishbone upper link, and use quarter eliptical springs, like they use on some race trucks, or use some nice big coilovers like they did on that 4WOR dakota monster, really the weight wouldn't affect flex that much, you'd have to have custom leaves or custom coils done anyway so the springrates would have to be based on the weight, wheel travel, etc. etc, Check out Steve Frisbies Truck in the technical section of the main site, he did a three link coil over conversion, might give you some ideas.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah I'm off-road ready now but with a half ton setup still, its hard always being in a transitional stage! I have all this cool gear piling up in my garage but the small missing pieces are preventing it from being installed.

I was going to go the bilstein coil over route due to its adjustable ride height and valving but this would boost the cost of the bolt on kit quite a bit should I turn around and start manufacturing them, although this would be very trick. I thought about using coil springs from some production car/truck and locating them on the 4-link arm with an adjustable mounting point but this takes up a lot of non-existant space without heavy undercariage modification. My biggest concern over the 1/4 eliptical set-up would be the stiffness or size of the leaf pack needed to hold up the weight of the rear end without getting into expensive construction but this is the route I'm going to attempt first. It is so compact, light and lends to a bolt on model that I have to give it a shot.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://24.55.50.76:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

4. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

u fweeekiwn kwaazy Mike ;) i still have that 68 or whatever it is muhuahahah

Kick It In The Firewall !!
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Crazy like a fox! I looked into the trailing arm suspension on those early 2wd trucks but it's too much cross fabrication to bolt it on a k5 but I gave it some serious consideration. Hey, I finally picked up all my roll cage tubing. It's .120 wall 1 1/2" DOM along with a bunch of stainless steel plates. Do you have any access to a tube bender? I'm about this -&gt; &lt;- close to buying one but having a hard time justifying a 800 buck investment for one time usage(and additionally not having a place to mount it) and not interested in starting a cage shop.

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

SEVERAL :)

remember that 30 ton press ? it has a tubing bender and we have a manual bender also , then there are the "other methods " heh heh heh - Andy

Kick It In The Firewall !!
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE

7. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

thats exactly what i used for my cage. anyway on that zuki you saw, i saw a yj set up exactly like that a few weeks ago. i was amazed, i just stood there and stared at it for 10min thinking of how i could do it on my k5. ive thought of doing a system on the rear with a mono leaf that has very littte spring rate, like not even enough to hold up the truck, and use that leaf to center the rear axle thus eliminating the links and use a coilover shock-style for the suspension. the pack or single leaf would obviously have to be thick enough to maintain rigidity aginst lateral axle movement but soft enough to allow the axle to drop the full extent of the coil-over, possibly would have to be set up with some sort of revolving shackle. if it did require anothe lateral link it would not be a big deal. just a thought i have been playing with. j.c.

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I had a similar thought on the single leaf idea. I've been working on the geometry of it and think I have a solution for those already running a CV-style driveshaft. It would require a tether from the pumpkin to the body to keep it from dropping past the cv's capabilities. If you mount the opposite end of the spring pack forward on the frame about a foot and a half, then the opperating angle of the driveshaft at the pumpkin stays true. Interstingly enough you might be able to adapt the current complete leaf flipped with an alignment and contact pad where it used to bolt to the axle... hmmm.

9. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Just an FYI. I am currently building a Dana 60 rear axle truss for a Landcruiser. It has all the axle mounts attached to it to hook up a custom three link with an upper wishbone link. If any problems with the housing occur a new one can be installed is a short amount of time. I can easily add link mounts to any of the trusses I build.

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com>www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com</a>

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Welcome to the world of trying to cram 7 gal of smelly in a 5 gal bucket!

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm glad you posted 85m1009, while mocking up a 4-link coil over setup I decided that having 2 of the 4-link bars mount from the sides of the frame to the center of the pumpkin would eliminate the need for a trac locator becuase of its triangulation. It would make sense that if a bolt up kit were to attatch there then why not take the extra step and incorporate an axle truss into the mix, yours popped right into mind. I like your design and may call you to look into a hybrid design depending on which route I take with the 4-link.

And yes, Stephen, stuffing all this in there functionally is hard enough without trying to make it a bolt on solution! [​IMG]

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

wrong direction for a 4x4.
    you want the roll centre high, near TC hieght,
    not low under axle hieght like a race car
    basically the converging links should be at the frame end not axle end

formerly 77chev

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you are descibing a 1/4 eliptical spring

the benefit of it is that you can put leaves to PREVENT droop which will allow more pressure on the tire that has wieght on it rather then letting a tire fall uselessly.

(bet that gets replys)

formerly 77chev

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Take a look at this picture Pictures <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by BorregoK5 on 01/04/02 08:32 PM.</FONT></P>

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

bad link

formerly 77chev

16. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Sorry, new ISP recently blocked my incoming http port 80, try it now, I moved it to port 81.

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

i have seen that before,
    a multi purpose race truck in Kamloops used that idea
    adjustable ride hieght for different events,
    he did asphalt, hill climbs, baja, desert racing, etc all with the same f150

formerly 77chev

18. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

So how did he perform? Was he competetive or just competing. If all the brackets and link bars could be fabricated and made bolt up, and people could reuse their existing leaf springs (haven't yet tested that theory), it might be a reasonably inexpensive yet effective modification. I'm going to mock this up this weekend and see if the springs can hold the weight and how soft/stiff/flexy it could be.

19. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

m j , if you wern't such a jerk, we might be able to get along.

What the hell is T C height? Do you really know? Do ya?

<font color=blue>Wow Factor
    A SBC at 6000 RPM, Piston speed of 60 MPH.
    3- The intake charge reaches a speed 4 X greater than the piston.
    Thats 240 MPH.

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

doubt it.

formerly 77chev