Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 LINK LATTER BARS TRACTION BARS whats the difference?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Nov 4, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

The title says it all

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my understanding:
    4 Link - necessary in a coil-spring setup, two bars connect to top of axle, two connect to bottom. These hold the axle in the proper place and prevent it from twisting (axlewrap type twisting)
    Ladder bars - same basic idea, bars connected to frame and axle, but generally there are only two. These also prevent axlewrap. Ladder bars are seen in leaf spring applications, too, because they aren't necessary for locating the axle.
    Traction bars - these are little blocks mounted under leaf pack (sandwiched between axle and leaf spring) continued backwards and then bars connect up to the leaf pack (sorry, it's hard to explain in words - try a search, there were pictures posted not long ago in the Garage) Anyway, these also prevent the axle from wrapping when hooked up properly.
    Hope this helps and all the info is accurate.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

3/4/5 link and similar systems actually locate the axle and the springs (coil/coil-over/1/4 elip/etc.) just support the weight. Traction bars normally do nothing more than keep the axle from twisting leaf springs into an "S" shape resulting in physical damage and/or wheel hop along with other problems.