Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 link suspension

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blzrdrvr, Oct 17, 2005.

1. blzrdrvr

blzrdrvr Registered Member

heyya fellas.
    i have read all eight pages in this forum, and the closest that came to my question was one about a mod'ed 3 link. I am curious and eager to build a four link. i have done some research on the 'net and found a good site on how to build a system,( www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/ )however, I'd like to hear from the vast wisdom that abounds here at CK5. It seems that the 4 link provides a HUGE advantage in articulation, therefore, the trails will feel the fury of that which is my dominating rig. Body rub will be dealt with accordingly (grinder and welder). This is also my daily driver, some highway. Of course, a few questions first:
    1. Should I do it?
    2. Because I'm currently running 33's, can mounting brackets on the frame for the control arms be fabbed to accomodate larger tires when i can aquire them?
    3. Has anyone else done this to thier Blazer, and might you be able and willing to send me your plans?
    4. What issues am I dealing with as far as steering and driveshaft? (Brakes lines and breather tubes will be lengthened, of course.)
    5. What questions am I not asking?

Thank you very much for your GOOD advice on this matter. Come play in the desert sometime. Leave your winch, bring shovel and friends. and water.

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

You have downloaded ExcelCAD, RIGHT? That is the place to start.

FWIW, I place very LITTLE faith in what magazine writers push out. I would suggest reading a couple books. The book by Herb Adams is one of the best at getting across complex ideas in simple words.

3. blzrdrvr

blzrdrvr Registered Member

Ty

Hey, thanks for the pointers. I take it that exelCAD is free!?!?! I take it? I do have experience with CAD systems, and the book I can get here at little cost. cool, thanks. anyone else?

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

There was a thread on suspension design books or a thread that got "borrowed" where I listed several and others did too.
    You should be able to find a link to ExcelCAD in the Center of Gravity forum.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

There are exceptions, but you won't find a vast pool of 4-link knowledge here on ck5. This is mainly because most of us run leaf springs both front and rear. By swapping in longer springs, plenty of flex is available. Stock 56 and 63" springs for example.

The best thing about 4 link suspensions is that they eliminate axle wrap and they allow for really great approach/departure angles. For leaf sprung suspensions these issues can be addressed though. A well designed traction bar can keep wrap under control and if you run enough tire, you can get 90 degree approach/departure angles too.

j

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author