Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 or 12

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solid454, May 9, 2000.

1. solid454

solid454 Registered Member

I was just woundering if a 4-inch lift would be the best lift for rock crawling. I can get a 12-inch with a set of pretty good 40's for just a little more than the 4 inch and i was just woundering witch i would be better of with for mud boggen and rock crawling.

BIG HEAVY AND ROLL'N

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I think 12 inches is really impracticle unless its a show truck. Not only do you have to modify the steering, driveshafts, brakelines, etc a ton, but it also makes the center of gravity really high. The new trend for something like 40's is a 6 inch lift and cut out fenders. Hacked fenders are the way to go.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. I have been running a 12" lift on my 88 Burb for almost 3 years now and it is awesome in the mud, but not what one would want for rock crawlin'. Those 12" front springs ride like a tank !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya 12 is way to high for trail riding!! Now if you were just gona blast thru some mud bogs then it would be ok but thats all you could safely do!
    Go with the 4 and no more than 6! If you have to have 40"ers then cut the fenders and swap in some heavy running gear!!
    Good Luck!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]