Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 or 6" lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevycanada, Jan 10, 2002.

1. chevycanada

chevycanada Registered Member

4 or 6\" lift

i am going to be installing a lift in my truck and don't know weather to go 4 or 6". If i go six do i need to extend my drive shafts, brake lines and do any other mods that wouldn't be nesecarry with a 4" lift

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: 4 or 6\" lift

what tires are you planning on running and no you usually dont need to extend the drivelines with a 6in lift but you will need a droped pitman arm and extended brake lines

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

3. chevycanada

chevycanada Registered Member

i have 33's right now so they will stay for a while and then prolly 35's

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would go 6". I like the look of 6" and 35s. I have the 4" and I wish I'd gone 6". My tires got cut by my fenders too. :( They never rubbed until I really bounced it hard!!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I bet you will need to extend your drive shafts and also drop your transfer case. I have a six " lift in my 1980 1/2 ton and I did, I marked the drive shaft slip yokes and lifted the truck. I went from a four to a six inch lift. The front was almost fully extended plus it was bound up and would not turn, the rear did not have enough splines left in the slip yoke so I extended both and put a high angle yoke on the front shaft so it could turn. You can grind the front shaft yoke but the high angle yoke eliminated that. Tom Woods drive shaft web site has good info for this. I think it is www.tomwoods.com You will need longer brake lines also I used Procomp braided hoses, they are made by Earls Plumming. Hope these are the answers your looking for

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if you are going to stay with 33's go with the 4in lift if you want 35's you could stay with 4in and trim the fenders some if you want 35's and dont want to trim the fenders go with the 6in lift you just need to decide what tires you want to run later on and lift it acordingly[​IMG]

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

7. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i got a 4in lift and 35s and i like it a lot!
    but a 6 would be tight too

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I say 4" and trimming. Trimming rocks! You'll prolly need shaft mods, I need em with my 4". You'll need brakelines and the dropped steering arm. I bought a Rough Country which I like for the price and the decent ride. COmes with steering arm too!

1978 K20 - 355ci, np205, th400, D44, 14F, 7" of Lift, 36 x 14.5 TSL Radial

9. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I agree on the 4" lift and trimming if needed. I like the filled fender/ tatful trim look. Plus the 4" lift is a lot easier and less complicated

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

10. Tatman

Tatman Registered Member

... or you could go for the 4 in lift, then a body lift... I have plenty of room for any tire I'd want.

Brian
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm>www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm</a>

11. k5'er

k5'er Registered Member

i have an 88 k5 that i put a 6" lift on. i had to extend the drive shafts, and i lowered the tansfer case a bit to help out. i didnt have to get new brakes lines though, i just unhooked them from the frame and brackets and re-routed them and let them hang. they have plenty of room now. im also running 35's and i think i could go a little bigger without doing any trimming. looks like it anyway. also i put a steering arm on but that isnt enough, i still need a 2" drag link and then the steering will be fine.other than that you shouldnt have to make any other mods. but i would def go with 6" because it gives you more options for the future.

Mud! Its cool!