Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" or 6" lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82K5_6.5L, Mar 17, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

4\" or 6\" lift?

i have a 3.5" lift right now and wanted to go to 4", but then i have been reading and lookin at other rigs and they look good with 35's and 6" lift, plus 6" u wont have to trim alot, if any..what should i do? what do u guys recomend?

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Re: 4\" or 6\" lift?

I went from 4" with 35's to 6" and 36's, and I think the 6" dwarfs the 36 inch Swampers. My front fenders are trimmed a little, but I think I could roll 38's. 4" and 35's looks good.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

4" and 35s looks best as for functionality I don't know. I saw an 86 K20 for sale yesterday with 6" suspension and 3" body, if you thought you dwarfed those 36s ha! My plan is 6" and 37s. I think going 2" bigger than usually recommended is good in my book /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. meaning 35s for 4", 33s for no lift, and about 37s for 6".

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

imo 5" is the perfect amount of lift for a Blazer. Use whatever 4" lift means you want (springs, shack flip, whatever) and then add ORD zero rates at all 4 corners.

btw, trimming fenders is a GOOD thing... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pics of my rig with that amount of lift (+1" of body lift) are on my webshots..

j

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Go 6" couse in the future you'll want tires bigger the 35's. I wend 6" thinking I'd get 35's, well I'm getting 38's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and trimming my fenders. I know befor I'm done, I end up on 44's.

6. jekbrown

you can fit 42s with a 4-5" lift if you fender trim. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All you guys ever talk about is cutting your fenders. Sometimes I really wish that would just go away. Not everybody needs a low rig with big tires. I dare one of you with 5" of lift and 38s to come wheelin' with me sometime. Trust me, there are places where the extra height will help you big time!!

My truck is lifted way too much for its tires, but I have big plans for it anyway...but if I had it to do all over again from the beginning, I would have started with a 6" suspension and 35" tires. I think that's about perfect but not too big.

8. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I think it all depends on where you go wheelin'. In some cases you need to keep your center of gravity lower, so you'd want the 4". If your not to concerned about rollovers where you wheel then go with the 6".
    You can make whatever size tires you want fit with either lift.
    ... well almost /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My point exactly. Thank you.

Severe fender hacking is definitely not for everybody.

10. jekbrown

it may not be for everyone... but more lift pretty much = more problems. More strain on various components, more driveline and steering mod are required, and, of course, more $. massive lift may be advantageous in some places, but any terrain with off camber stuff could be trouble. I guess if you live in kansas, sure, install that 18" lift to run 40" tires. Here in washington, we have hills... big ones. Because of this center-of-gravity is a pretty big deal. I'll take my 40" tires with a 5" lift please. others needs differ, and thats ok. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

11. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

here is a post I made earlier, take from it what ya can /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

This pic shows 6 inch front bds spring
    the rear is a echobit schacleflip with a 2 inch shyjacker springs. I did the 2 inch springs because I am the guy with a tone of spare parts, from axel shafts to hubs to brake lines and even a fully set up 14 bolt carrier once I get in welded for a spare too. I plan on the rear being a little higher regaurdless and each wheel well has around 12 inches from tire to lip. I recommend you go with the 6 inch lift because yu will want to after a while, and if you can go with a tire bigger than 35 inches, this tire doesn't really give you those extra inches that a 38 inch tire will, my set up has 11-12 inches of clearence with an unshaved 14 bolt. Also when you do the shackle flip I recommend pm-ing me so I can show you a real easy way to get the pesky bolts off. I also have a 3 inch body lift and will eventually get rid of it, it just isn't worth it in my opinion unless you are a pavment pounder. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You may want to consider...6 inch bds spring @ 220.00/pair
    schackle flip @ 90.00?
    stainless brake lines by procomp @ 85.00-100.00
    zero rate for rear ..under 40.00
    drop arm..50-60.00
    rims....get the black rockcrawlers..4 for 220.00 to my door
    shave that 14 bolt..your time and patiance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

for now i put on a 2 1/2" susp. lift with all new springs, but thats b/c i have 3 kids ages 3,5, and 8. and my blazer is also my daily driver. is a few years, i plan on going to a 6" lift with front springs and an ORD shackle flip in the rear. this will be when my kids are bigger so they can get in the truck without me picking them up, and also when i have a second truck to drive daily.

rick

13. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

when i first wanted to lift my suburban i wanted a 2.5" and 33"s. these guys talked me into a 4" and i was happy that they did. but then my 36s, when i got them rubbed quite badly, so i trimmed out the fenders. now i want a 6". really, it comes down to what u think looks and performs best.

14. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

15. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

hey well..i've been thinkin,i am gonna just do 4 inches for now..it costs $111 each for rancho 4" springs up front, gonna go cheap and blocks in the rear that are $50,and i want the rancho 9pt. adjustable schocks.. will i need the new steering arm thing, (cant think of what its called) i got a new one when i got the 3.5" lift on, will it work for the new one? and when i save up enough money 35's are going on! WOW has anybody seen the new BFG Krawlers? they are amazing,they come in 35x13.50x15's which i want or in 37'sx13.50x17! but the 35's are like $330 a peace /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif for a total of 5 just tires since i have rims is $1600!!wow..but they are bad ass tires! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif